Credit Card expiry?

Hey all. quick question. I’m pretty sure in the past you used to get contacted by your bank before your debit/credit card expired, and they’d send you a new one (or notification in post to go pick up new one at bank). Mine expires soon, and I have in the last 3 months heard “horror” stories from family and friends about how their card expired (without them being aware), and having a terrible time trying to get it replaced. My wifes credit card HAS expired, and she got no notification.

I’m not seeing ANYTHING online (i get vague generic google results of "your bank will contact you in the last 3 months) from my bank, apart from being a new customer and getting a NEW card.

No banking app or online place to renew an expired card, only the option to renew a lost/stolen/broken card (which carries a fee)

what gives? Have the banks in SA (the 2 horror stories are 2 diff banks to one my wife and i use) just decided nah fuck’em, they can come to us when their stuff expires?
I’m gonna attempt to contact my bank tomorrow…but im not hopeful. Think i have 2 email chains where they just never replied to a single query before auto closing the ticket.

1 Like

Yeah nah mate.

I don’t have any credit cards but my debit card does expire soon too. I am hoping they contact me but the last one I don’t think they did and it took me trying to use it to realise it was expired.

Seems to be a common trend these days, wait for the customer to contact/complain about said product or service before taking any action.

1 Like

Strange…My Debit Card actually expired last month and about a month before that I started getting SMSes that a courier company will be contacting me to arrange delivery of my new card. They phoned and delivered to my door without any issue, all before my old card expired. Same for my Credit Card a year or so ago.

Edit: With FNB if you were wondering.

2 Likes

Yes, FNB is usually on the ball with replacing expired credit cards. Actually, the one time when I think Mygate got hacked and credit card details leaked, FNB contacted me to issue me a new card and have the old one cancelled as they somehow found out that my card number was one of the cards leaked in the hacking.

I have or had some kind relationship with most banks out there (excluding the new “mini-banks”) and as far as I’m concerned, there is no competition for FNB that offers everything they do at the level of service they provide. As far as I know, you can pretty much even order new cards on the app.

1 Like

I did get an sms asking which branch I would like to fetch my credit card from last year September and then I got an sms to fetch my card 2 weeks later. From the above it sounds like FNB courier to you. I had to pickup from Standard Bank. Other than that they never bothered sending my my cheque card.

1 Like

I am with FNB, I get contacted the month before it expires, and they send a courier to my work place

Update time! So i’ve been getting a bit antsy, and over the weekend and today i tried to look for any non-bot but also non-email/phone number way (think quick chat) of getting in touch with ABSA since the expiration is happening soon. No success, there doesn’t seem to be an easy way for clients to actually speak to anyone (except i ASSUME the fraud/lost line)…so dead end there.
Note I havent actually sent any messages etc.

So this afternoon I got an sms saying a courier company is going to be getting in touch with delivery of my replacement card! woohoo!

Now my wife is angry/annoyed…since her credit card expired recently without so much as an email from ABSA…So we gonna see if we can find out what happened there. Also don’t have any further evidence on the family friends that had their own trouble…seems a bit hit or miss, maybe I’m lucky…

Will update should I have any further difficulty!

3 Likes

I always send a message to ABSA on their Twitter/X. They’ve helped out a few times.

https://x.com/absasouthafrica?s=21&t=1PC78ZT1ngiYZmmM7E9wow

2 Likes

Final Update (for me)
Got my card in my hand now (well actually haven’t opened envelope).
Got a call from DSV end of last week asking me to provide an address to deliver, and to nominate someone who can receive on my behalf should i not be there (my job requires me to be at 3 different locations throughout the week, hard to say where i’ll be if they cant give me a day of the week, let alone time of day). I got another message this morning to say it is going to be delivered today, got a message saying its on its way, and another sms when the driver parked outside our office building.
All in all thats actually decent

Now for my wifes experience. I recently found out that she says her new card is linked on her absa app, so its as if she did receive a new card with a new number/ccv etc, but no actual thing exists. So I want her to click stop/replace and have them not charge us for it, since i reckon its pretty dangerous the card just appears to exist somewhere in the ether

Anyway, hope whoevers reading this for info gets my treatment and not my wifes when it comes to CC replacement :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think my cheque account card is due to expire next month, so here’s hoping. Perhaps your wish will come to pass.

1 Like