Crysis Remastered

Okay, people bashing Crysis 1, you have officially struck a nerve :joy:

I don’t think this is even an unpopular or controversial take, but Crysis was groundbreaking for it’s time and not just on a graphical level.
It’s an open world sandbox with fully destructible buildings and trees, roaming AI patrols (Advanced AI for it’s time), massive scale, incredible detail and a pretty good story.
There are games that excel in a few of these things, but Crysis did them all really well and I’m not even touching on the graphics which was groundbreaking all on it’s own.
I’m not even a huge Crysis fan, but these are the reasons it was critically acclaimed.

For some context, similar games to come out around that time were games like FEAR, Bioshock, Farcry, Just Cause.

By the time the sequel came out in 2011, the rest of the gaming world already started catching up and the sequel didn’t do enough (I think) to keep itself above the rest. 2 and 3 might have still been good games in their own right, but the novelty of the new tech was long gone.

And thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

6 Likes

I will never forget this one moment while playing through Crysis that is still imprinted on my memory. It’s after you’ve come of the mountain and what’s inside there (won’t spoil it for the sake of the Crysis virgins among us!) and you are down low enough below the snow, there’s some crashed vehicle pouring out smoke into the sky and you’re battling a flying enemy (again, won’t go into spoiler details). Trying to shoot down this enemy as it flies around and disappears amidst the smoke felt like I was in a proper movie scene. It was amazing!

The first half of the game does give you an open playground for all your abilities. It’s more akin to Far Cry in that sense (Crytek’s first game). Later on it becomes an action romp, which I still found enjoyable. The sequel certainly went more in the direction of a linear, showpiece experience.

The multiplayer modes were an absolute blast as well.

Now I’m going to have to replay Crysis… the question is do I play the mod enhanced original? (That is if I can find the discs!) or do I go for the remaster?

5 Likes

I actually remember Crysis 1 receiving a lot of hate. Because it was supposedly all graphics and nothing else.
But like @SlinX and @DarthMol, I actually enjoyed playing the game. I think my GPU was about good enough for Medium-High so could not take advantage of fancy grahics anyways. I spent so much of my time in game just trying to take out guards and not to be seen in the process.

5 Likes

I wasn’t that connected to the internet as I am today when Crysis launched, so I missed all the hate the game received. I loved my time with Crysis and it still stands as one of the very best FPS games made ever. It has a 91% Metacritic score and 8.1 user score, so I guess the hate isn’t all that wise spread.

4 Likes

Ok in other words, I will wait for a nice sale and grab it

3 Likes

It was probably just the guys with too weak pc’s to play it that hated on it out of bitterness and envy :laughing:

And to clarify the first I played the game at a LAN I could barely run it. It was only much later that I played the Single player campaign on a PC that was better than the best machines when the game was released. Even then it chugged in the hectic memory hungry scenes.

4 Likes

As much as I love Crysis, I really hate the enemies with the same suits as you… Man, those little buggers drove me nuts!

The very first scene of the plane in the cloudy moonlit sky, dropping onto the beach and then picking up the turtle and chucking him back into the ocean. The WWF would have been so proud of me! (World Wildlife Fund, not the wrestling guys)

3 Likes

…with strength mode engaged.

1 Like

Another vide of Crysis Re… oh wait… this is a Mod!!!

3 Likes

Watched this and I’m not overly impressed.

1 Like

gonna post this here since im not sure many of you guys know of/follow this guy, he’s more popular in the CS:GO community, but I enjoyed this that he did.

If anybody wants a free upgrade to their Crysis and not spend money on the remaster, have a look at this mod:

1 Like
1 Like