Deck building games

So going through the steam discovery queue there are quite a few deck building games now.

I struggle with these games. I don’t know why. I know of hearthstone and gwent in the witcher. Then I know of Magic the gathering as an actual physical card game.

How many of you enjoy these types of games? I think I struggle conceptually with making there correct choices.

2 Likes

I avoid it like the plague, if you think dota players take their gaming seriously wait till you play against people in these type of games… I have found their communities to be rather toxic so I just avoid it and never learn properly.

2 Likes

Seconded

2 Likes

Play deck building games like that, with people you can see and that cannot hide behind a shield of anonymity. There are a lot of great deck building real card games that do not need the financial investment that MTG does. These play as stand alone games with no trading needed. One of the best ever and easily playable with anyone, regardless of their board game experience is Dominion. Check it out.

4 Likes

I enjoyed mtg in high school. Sold up just after 7th edition came out.
I’m dying to get back into it.

I really enjoyed hearth stone, but it hammers mobile battery. I should see if my mint potato (laptop) can run it.

Main reason I quit is I didn’t have anybody to play with

2 Likes

I’ve been playing so much Gwent. I don’t know why but it’s super addictive. The game had a story progression system over the last 3 months called Journey. You only had 3 months to finish it and it basically started just as I started playing. Took almost a 100 hours but I finished the journey on Saturday.

There’s different ranks in the game and my next goal is to make Pro rank. I’m still missing a lot of cards though so it’s going to take a long while.

4 Likes

A friend of mine introduced me to Keyforge (physical card game) which is really awesome (See my thread here)

There is a fan made online version that is really well done. The plus side of the Crucible Online, as it’s called, is that you can use your own card decks but also any other deck if you import it - you can get the code for each deck off the online database.

It would be pretty difficult for someone new starting with the Crucible online. Much better to get the physical version and start there though.

2 Likes

(my opinion)

I played a lot of MTG back in the day, spent a LOT of cash on it. In retrospect, the whole business model of the tradeable deckbuilding games was nothing but a form of gambling. You have to keep spending cash to get “booster” packs to make your deck more and more competitive and hopefully get that card you need. Then they bring a new expansion out and you go through all that again. Yes, you can trade cards with people to get the cards you need, I will concede that much.

Sure, if you have disposable income, go for it. If you watch every cent to make it through the month then these kinds of games are a dangerous gambler’s trap.

2 Likes

This has piqued my interest in getting back into deck building games. Any reccomendations on an android one? I’m leaning Hearth stone or mtg

2 Likes

I absolutely love MTG, but its physical form. I love(d) collecting the cards and having social gatehrings while playing the game, maybe over a pint. I’m not very partial to the digital versions of this though.

In the digital space, I love playing some Slay The Spire and I see there’s a new one called Monster Train which seem to improve the mechanics and gameplay loop, but I haven’t got or played this.

Legends of Runtera is pretty decent for a free to play model, along with Hearthstone, but again I spend more time in other types like Slap The Spire.

3 Likes

Those who haven’t tried Gwent yet, it’s completely different to the Gwent found in the Witcher games. It’s also completely different to how it was at launch.

4 Likes

I’ll give the android version a bash tonight

2 Likes

I wasn’t able to get into that. I only won the tutorial, afterwards I lost all the other games I tried.

2 Likes

Just under 3gb download for Android.
Only got onto it this morning.
Probably played 30mins, I think I’m going to thoroughly enjoy Gwent

2 Likes

I just saw that gwent is on steam also.

2 Likes

Resurrecting this topic because I don’t think Total War: Elysium is worth a topic of its own just yet.

After @GregRedd’s post about Steam’s new playtest feature going live, I went to check out Total War: Elysium. I recently got into Total War: Warhammer and thought it would be something in the same vein.

From the video, it’s basically Hearthstone: Total War Edition. From the font to the animations, the aesthetic is a basically a carbon copy of Hearthstone! Seems like a pretty low move from Sega…

2 Likes