Desperados III

@Hiro let me know that Desperados III is excellent and that I should play it and so I started it on Monday and he is right! The game is a masterpiece.

I don’t know if any of you played the first two games back in the day. They are very similar to the Commandos games and tough as nails. Luckily this latest instalment isn’t as difficult and they took the game concept and adapted it to today’s standards.

It’s currently on Game Pass and has an overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam:

3 Likes

Its odd that steam link is broken

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this franchise. The original Desperados is an all time favourite! I didn’t enjoy Desperados 2 and spent very little time with it. I also like the Commandos games.

The devs of Desperados III also made the excellent Shadow Tactics, which is basically the same type of game, set in Edo Japan. I highly recommend it if you like the genre.

I’ve been playing Desperados III on and off since launch. Some missions frustrated me so much that I had to take a break from the game for a bit. I think the overall polish and control features make the game a joy to play, e.g. being able to fast forward the game.

I love the amazing possibilities in achieving the objective for each stage. I’m trying for a non-lethal approach on Hard. It’s on Gamepass now iirc, so do give it a bash and check out Shadow Tactics too.

2 Likes

I feel like this game is not getting the attention it deserves. It’s brilliant. Overwhelmingly Positive at Steam, on Game Pass and a must play.

4 Likes

I finally finished the game, and it is just stunning. It’s absorbing with plenty of choices in how you approach it. It’s just such a delight mechanically. Nothing feels as good as a plan coming together.

The sheer quality and polish must be commended too! It looks and sounds wonderful, the voice acting is top notch and even the story and narration are surprisingly good! Shout out to the music composers too!

You might think it’s hard for a game with isometric, in-game cutscenes to capture the essence of the story and its emotions, but my word have they done it! Desperados III is an absolute gem.

2 Likes

Nicely done on finishing it! I’m currently in the train station area. Will probably finish the game over the weekend.

1 Like

I finished the game and it was outstanding. That last map was tough! Can easily recommend it to everyone and it’s on Game Pass.

1 Like

Reviving this topic because I finally started playing the game yesterday. Thought I’d try play through it before it leaves Game Pass on the 15th. I can fully agree with the praise the game has received so far in this thread. I’m loving it! The levels are beautiful and interesting to play. The characters are fantastic and so well voice acted.

2 Likes

It’s so good. I hope you get to finish it.

1 Like

I’ve had this on my wishlist for a while, but I have started Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun and I’ve been enjoying the hell out of that.
It looks and plays like Desperados but set in feudal Japan.

4 Likes

It’s the same dev for both games. Desperados III has a few, great, QoL improvements over Shadow Tactics, but they’re both fantastic games.

I’ve been playing the standalone chapter of Shadow Tactics called Aiko’s Choice. It’s more of the same, but exactly what I want!

3 Likes

And done! Finished the game today. The game is brilliant and I loved every level. What surprised me the most was the story and characters. You really grow to love this band of misfits. It’s so clever how the characters’ responses to your commands change in each mission and give you an idea of how they are feeling.

The maps are fun to explore and are intricately detailed and balanced.

I haven’t attempted the challenges since I wanted to complete the campaign before the game goes off Game Pass on the 15th. If I get a chance I’ll have a go at a few of them but I am well satisfied with the nearly 29 hours I spent playing through the main missions. There is certainly a lot of replay value to be had.

4 Likes