Dirt Rally 2.0 [MEWRL]

It is. Just no time for me to do the write up. Will hopefully get to it tomorrow. Sorry for the delay. Go practice. :grinning:

2 Likes

What class of cars is it? I donā€™t want to select the RaceClub event if it accidentally forces me to start :smiley:
(no rush btw, Iā€™m probably not going to find time to even practice)

2 Likes

It shouldnā€™t, I normally go in just to see what car options there are or even go all the way into the paddock, as long as you donā€™t start the stage you should be fine.

3 Likes

2023 MEWRL Rally Championship: The 9x9

RounAustralialy Australia | Monaro :australia:

Round 7 of the 2023 9X9 Championship and we are heading back to the ass end of the Pacific and the strange island nation of Australia. And we are taking a bunch of good old bangers with us - itā€™s Historics in Australia time!

Event Period

• Starts: 2023-07-08T22:15:00Z
  • Ends: 2023-07-29T21:59:00Z

Eligible Cars

Historic Rally H3 (RWD)

• BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally
  • Datsun 240Z
  • Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500
  • Lancia Stratos
  • Opel Ascona 400
  • Renault 5 Turbo

• BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally
    Like the Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500, the BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally gained legendary status in several different forms of motorsport, naturally making its way onto the rally scene in the late 80s. The car was designed and developed to compete in Group A, winning the 1987 Tour de Corse with Bernard BĆ©guin at the controls.

• Datsun 240Z
    The Datsun 240Z is characterised by its long bonnet, long wheelbase, and a 6-cylinder engine which produces favourable low end torque. The Datsun 240Z is known for its iconic body shape and its successful participation in rally in the early 1970s. This model took several rally wins during this period.

• Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500
    Based on its road-going equivalent, the Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 was a motorsport icon of its era. The car was tricky to drive on the loose gravel stages due to its RWD configuration, and was unable to compete against its 4WD rivals. Once tarmac surfaces the car fared far better, winning the 1988 Corsica Rally outright.

• Lancia Stratos
    The Lancia Stratos produced a new era in rallying, as it was the first car designed and developed from scratch for rally competition. Production of the 500 cars required for homologation in Group 4 commenced in 1973 and the Stratos was homologated for the 1974 WRC season. The car won the 1974, 1975 and 1976 championship titles in the hands of Sandro Munari and Bjƶrn WaldegƄrd.

• Opel Ascona 400
    Built to replace the Opel Kadett GT/E, the Opel Ascona 400 raced in both Group 4 and in Group B. The Opel Ascona went on to win the World Rally Championship in 1982 at the hands of Walter Rƶhrl, proving a more than worthy adversary to the Audi quattro. The Opel Ascona won its final event in top level rally, with Ari Vatanen winning the 1983 Safari Rally.

• Renault 5 Turbo
    The Renault 5 Turbo, based on the Renault 5 Turbo 1 road-going car, won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1981 on its first outing in the World Rally Championship, being driven by Jean Ragnotti and co-driver Jean-Marc AndriƩ. Its short wheelbase makes for a superbly nimble car, with great traction on tarmac due to its RWD configuration.

Rally Route

A nice combination of 2 short and 1 long stage in each of the three trios of stages in Australia. Just a single true night stage (S6) at the end of the second block, but keep an eye on the lights for the sunset and dusk stages too - it can get a bit dim under those trees. Careful also of the final three stages, all of which are on wet surfaces, with showers and rain expected on two of them as well.

Go get dirty down under mates!! :australia:

2 Likes

I was watching some Dirt 2.0 vids and came across mention of @aldyr

5 Likes

Anā€™ how can ye not leeve a laik and soobscrybe with an accent laik thet.

3 Likes

Eventually got the Round 7 details posted - sorry for the delay :expressionless:

Glad to see that thereā€™s already a few drivers with some times posted. For the rest of us, thereā€™s still a little more than 10Ā½ days left on the clock - plenty of time to get dirty Down Under!

5 Likes

This is such a cool class of cars, I love 'em!

I seem to be stuck in a rut down under. How do I control the car when it suddenly gets caught on uneven parts of the road? It suddenly oversteers, and I rarely can apply enough counter-steer to catch the car again.

Do I just need to know the surface better? I get no feedback from my wheel before itā€™s too late.

2 Likes

I wrote a big ass post describing over steer and how to catch it. Decided that a bit presumptuous and arrogant, so letā€™s just say this:

RWD rally car in Dirt starts sliding.

Lift throttle 90%, while simultaneously letting the wheel slip through your hands, then catch the wheel a second later and feed the throttle.

You want to maintain some throttle, else the back end WILL come around completely.

Rally drivers share some skill overlap with drifters. Catching the slide is the same process. The difference can be that YOU didnā€™t initiate the slide, the pothole/off camber corner/decompression from elevation, did. Unless it was you, then it was just your right foot trying to get the teacherā€™s attention.

4 Likes

I should have read properly.

Your ffb settings are too low. Turn it up. Test it in that open area with the warehouse. You must feel weight when you turn in, and it should change when it starts sliding. Fiddle till you feel something. Or lookup settings on YouTube. There are a ton of helpful videos

Once the wheel feels communicates the ffb better, do the simple steps in the previous post. Try in the test area again

3 Likes

Thanks, I set up the wheel a while back based on some YT vids and havenā€™t changed it much since. I think the FFB is okay. I can feel the difference between surfaces and itā€™s not completely weightless.

On tarmac, it feels similar to what GT7 feels like, which is the only other racing game I play xD
I will check again though, especially if I should be feeling off-camber or uneven roads.

Otherwise I think Iā€™m okay with gentle corner control, and I do that ā€œwheel slipā€ thing you described. Tight corners (3 and tighter) are tougher for me as I find it hard to balance understeer and oversteer.
That probably comes with practice.

1 Like

@Boogey - this you? Having an identity crisis?

1 Like

OMG! I totally lost time this week :cry:

3 Likes

Same. Been having PC issues the last few days and just got things reinstalled late yesterday. Tried driving the rally but wheel settings are all borked again. Gave up mid stage 2.

Australia results and Round 8 post incomingā€¦:crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

The missus is holding the area where the simrig is, hostage :upside_down_face:

I need a sale at Zara, or something

4 Likes

Still having PC issues, so a bit of a truncated combined Round 7 results and Round 8 preview post.

Round 7: Australia Results

9x9 Championship Standings after Round 7/9

Round 8 - Rally Finland | Jamsa :finland:

Round 8 of the Championship sees us smash some Group B (RWD) suspension assemblies as we jump our way down the Finnish forest tracks!

Event Period

• Starts: Saturday, July 29, 2023 10:15 PM
  • Ends: Saturday, August 19, 2023 9:59 PM

Eligible Cars

Group B (RWD)

• BMW M1 Procar
  • Lancia 037 Evo 2
  • Opel Manta 400
  • Porsche 911 SC RS

• BMW M1 Procar
    Based on its road going equivalent, the BMW M1 Procar was used in a multitude of racing series. A Group 5 icon, this car attacked tarmac events, using its track racing pedigree to its advantage.

• Lancia 037 Evo 2
    The last RWD car to win a World Championship in 1983, the 037 was a legend of Group B rallying. The mid engined RWD monster made use of its supercharged powerplant, producing around 325 bhp. The Lancia 037 was succeeded by the 4WD Lancia Delta S4.

• Opel Manta 400
    A Group B icon, the Opel Manta was entered in mid 1983. It struggled to match its 4WD competitors, with an AWD Opel Manta prototype being developed briefly before the project was brought to a close. The Opel Manta Group B produced 275hp, offering excellent traction in the dry.

• Porsche 911 SC RS
    Producing 290hp, the Porsche 911 SC RS was and still is one of the most recognisable racing cars in the world. Modified for rally, this car featured tougher suspension, a wider body and event specific add-ons. This car was capable of taking the fight to its AWD rivals on a regular basis.

Rally Route

A good mix of fast and challenging stages for you to run in Finland. First trio are all short with the first two long stages only coming at S5 and S6. The third long stage is the last, S9. The opening and closing stages should see the fastest stages for the event - both are in dry, clear, and daytime conditions with no surface degradation on either - time for some Time Trial worthy stage times! S6 is the only full night stage this time around. And finally, towards the close of the rally, watch out for the heavy rain and very slippery surfaces with high deg on both S7 and S8.

Go jump!! :finland:

3 Likes

When I said that, I didnā€™t mean it literally :smiley: Sadly, most of us (myself included) completely forgot about the Finnish Rally, and now itā€™s too late because itā€™s, errrā€¦ finnished. :grin:

Just the two stalwarts managed to complete the nine stages, so huge thanks and appreciation to @Boogey and @LazyDemoni - they get all the credit, all the champagne, and all the points. (Technically, I get the P3 podium and one point because I was the only other one to start the rally. Weā€™ll ignore the fact that I only completed Stage 1 and move on.)

Championship Standings after Round 8 then:

@Boogey looks to be locked in to claim another Championship title, but thereā€™s still plenty to play for between @LazyDemoni, @the9avenger9, and @aldyr to sort out the P2 - P4 slots. @Beo also still in with a shout of pinching my Top Five spot with a strong showing in the last round.

Especially if we can get @murfle, @czc, and @WarRack101 to make an appearance at the final round too. It would bring some nice synergy to the 9X9 Championship if all nine who started the Championship in Round 1 came back for the nine stages of the ninth and final round?

Iā€™ll do the proper preview post a little later today or tomorrow, but in the meantime hereā€™s the route for the final round in Wales:

With just the two iconic rally cars in the H2 (FWD) class, testing time should be much easier for you. go do some time trials with them and see which you prefer:

• Peugeot 205 GTI
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI 16V
3 Likes

A little burnt out from dirt rally. :frowning_face: Canā€™t promise I actually continue, but maybe :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Same to be honest. And I do a tiny amount compared to what you do. This is going to be my last DR championship until we see WRC 23 and what itā€™s league tools and event builder look like.

I do still want to maybe go back to Dakar Rally for a bit to see what the course editor looks like in it. Maybe. One day.

2 Likes

Round 9 - Rally Wales | Powys :wales:

Itā€™s the final round! Round 9 of 9 of the 9X9 Championship! And weā€™re finishing off the season with a coupe of classic rally cars rushing through the forests of Powys in Wales.

Event Period

• Starts: Saturday, August 19, 2023 10:15 PM
  • Ends: Saturday, September 9, 2023 9:59 PM

Eligible Cars

Historic Rally H2 (FWD)

• Peugeot 205 GTI
  • Volkswagen Golf GTI 16v

• Peugeot 205 GTI
    Peugeot first entered the 205 GTI in 1984. This new car was FWD and powered by a 175bhp four cylinder engine, offering more than enough punch for the compact ā€˜superminiā€™. The 205 GTI saw varying levels of success in the Group A class.

• Volkswagen Golf GTI 16v
    The VW Golf GTI 16v was a FWD hot hatch designed and built in the mid 1980s. Modified for rally, Kenneth Eriksson achieved success in 1986 and 1987, making use of the nimble and powerful Golf platform. The high revving four cylinder engine was an iconic sound of the era.

Rally Route

Some interesting challenges to consider in this final round. To start with, alternating Dry and Wet Surface stages throughout the event. Three of the Wet stages are wet because of the Heavy Rain expected on them. And one of them (S6) is run at Night. With Maxium Surface Degradation conditions. Thereā€™s one more Night stage (S5) and three others that run at Sunset. As consolation Iā€™ve given you just one long stage (S1). See, Iā€™m nice.

Good luck, enjoy the final round. Ewch yn fudr un tro diwethaf! :wales:

4 Likes