Disposal of electronics

Where is the correct place to dispose of old electronics?

The old CRT style TV finally conked out and I need to dispose of it somewhere responsibly. I don’t just want to leave it on the roadside like some people do, you can physically track the progress of it being destroyed as people break bits day to day.

1 Like

The Makro close to us has a specific electronics disposal bin / skip. We always take ours there. What happens after is unknown to us, but they make a big deal about it being recycled and it is never full when we go so its emptied fairly often.

Our local solid waste management in Ballito also recently implemented a specific electronics disposal facility, but honestly my faith in them is far less than the Makro guys. Remember, these are the same guys who emptied all recycling containers in the same truck…

2 Likes

Most big makros now have the recycle skips, we have disposed of printers, old pcs and laptops

1 Like

I phoned makro and they said they no longer do waste disposal. Geez, why make ewaste disposal so difficult if you’re gonna pass a law that dumping it is illegal.

Anyway I found a place 4 mins from work, so hopefully they can help.

3 Likes

This is the frustrating thing. The nearest e-waste dumping container to us stopped as well. At the moment I have to build up a collection and then there is a guy who will come collect. He makes some money off the recycling metals but it’s not worth his while to pick up just a few items.

2 Likes

Ya, I remember getting a harassing phone call from one of these places. I was asking questions at first because it felt like a sales call. The kept harassing me, and when I said “maybe half a bakkie full?” they said “That’s not worth our time” and hung up.

2 Likes