Do you enjoy Horror Movies?

Watching this new Corridor short, watch it fullscreen btw.

Made me think that I haven’t actually watched a horror movie in a very long time. Like many years.

I’m not really that into horror movies, thats why I don’t search them out. How about you?

Also what do you think of the Corridor short? I think it was pretty well done. Got that eerie goosbumps feeling while watching it.

2 Likes

I do but my wife hates them so don’t watch them much.

As s kid Rose Red scared me shitless

Yeah, not a fan of scary stuff, I do like watching Cinema Sins on youtube about them though. The first “Scary” movie I saw as a child was Pet Cemetery, was not that scary but it was quite unsettling at the time.

As a child i loved watching horror movies but these days i find myself not that interested anymore. I just don’t find the current horror movie trend scary or good anymore.

1 Like

Yea I have to admit, the old school scary movies that worked on scaring you not with gore but tension and suspense.

Now its all gore and the gore is gross not scary

Yeah I love me some good horror movies, as Wyvs says, by building tention and suspense in the audience. Not just relying on satire, jump scares and gore.

The best examples of late I can recommend is Get Out and IT.

Some of my old school favorites remain the Alien movies, Freddy Kruger, The Shinning, etc.

1 Like

Not really but the lady is a big fan, so I tend to have to sit through them.

We’ve been watching Haunting of Hill House, and I have to say the pacing and tension is actually really good. Not just cheap jumpscares and “shock and awe” tactics but legitimate creepiness.

The episode “two storms” we watched on saturday was superbly done, had incredibly long continous circling shots…very very well done stuff.

EDIT: Just read now, the longest one-shot scene was 17 minutes…holy cow

To answer the topic question. “No, I actively avoid horror movies”

1 Like

have shyed away from them over the last few years.
Have had a few scary situations with confronting late night intruders at home so my paranoia has been through the roof, the horror movies feel like they weaken my mental state for such situations haha :smiley:

I haven’t watched a horror movie in probably 5-6 years. It just doesn’t appeal to me.

I’m keen on watching Siembamba (The Lullaby), but that’s because it is actually about Post Partum Psychosis, and that sounds interesting.

YES!!! I love this genre. Couple of my personal favourites include

The Blair Witch Project
The Silence of the Lambs
The Shining
Cabin Fever
The Descent

im not a fan but ma lady is suuuper into it she prefers horrors over everything else where i prefer everything else over horrors. i would prefer a horror tv series like dead of summer etc over a horror movie.

I don’t enjoy horror movies anymore. Years ago I did, especially the Nightmare on Elm Street series. With age comes squeamishness I suppose…

I have never seen a single:

• Nightmare on Elm St/Freddy anything
  • Friday the 13th/Jason anything
  • SAW
  • I walked out of the original IT after 15 minutes.
  • Silence of the lambs
  • etc

If Beetlejuice counts, I watched that while I was a kid and random scary movies on weekends with the neighbours if someone rented a video cassette player (remember those?)

For my whole adult life, I actively avoid the horror genre.

Any reason why though? You seem to despise anything horror-related, based on your comment about zombies in video games and your disdain for the Metro games series…

1 Like

I tie it all in with avoiding things I view as occultism.

Personally, my Christianity does not agree with it. I really get the cold shivers and sweat when those things appear on screen.

2 Likes

Ok, fair enough. Being a Christian myself I’ve found things that trigger my unease, but zombies are definitely not one of them. Intense horror games (Outlast, Amnesia, Silent Hill, etc.) and movies (pretty much all horror movies post 2000) though, are another story. Not that “occultic” themes in these bug me that much (hell, one of my favourite games of recent years is Diablo 3, which was heavy on “occultic” themes and the new Doom didn’t bother me at all). The horror aspect with sweaty palms, increased heart rate and jump scares abound and all the unease and stress it creates is what bothers me the most. I play games or watch movies for relaxation, not to be more stressed than I was before indulging in the electronic entertainment medium.

4 Likes

My wife likes horror movies but I don’t really care for it. Mostly cause the production quality is crap and it is way too far fetched. I’d rather watch something like a superhero movie, which is also far fetched, but at least entertaining.

As for the mentioning of some of the movies being offensive to Christianity, sure some I guess, but I’ve never really gotten that far into horror movies to be offended. I usually disqualify a movie based on something else way before the time. I’m not really too sensitive about it. I’ve watched some Nightmare on Elm street, Jason whatever, the Silence movies and none of those really offended. I can’t even remember if there were occult themes. In my view, there are comedies and stand-up routines that are way more mocking or offensive than most horror movies.
As for games, I still plan to play the Resident Evil and Metro games someday. Haven’t gotten that far yet. As for games making me feel uneasy I would maybe say Alone in the Dark 5 felt quite dark back when I played it, probably 2 decades ago.

I did like Grimm though. Not sure if that counts as horror, but it seems to be too much for my wife. Get out was also good I think.

1 Like

So I watched Siembamba on Showmax yesterday. Was okay. Fell asleep and missed few parts during the middle of the movie, sure it wasn’t important.

I could appreciate their attempt to convey the mother’s experience of postpartum psychosis, poor support structure, the rape issue that was never addressed, a broken family that desperately needed counseling, a young girl that needed coping mechanisms, etc etc.

But their attempt to make it a horror movie failed dismally.

Has anyone watched it before? I’d really like to know what the more “experienced” horror watchers think of it.

Never heard of it before but seems interesting enough. It’s suppose to be his take on Japanese horror i guess, which (according to the trailer) looks like he pulled it off pretty well. Might have to give it a try one day.

1 Like