Do you finish games?

Based on this comment in the thread about replaying games you have finished

I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us finish the games we started and how many of us get distracted by the new shiny game vying for our attention.

Since I’m someone who loves novelty, the excitement of starting up a new game is high. The problem is that I can run out steam before finishing the game, because I started craving something new. That being said, I decided a few years to ago to try to complete games before looking at other options.

I am really glad that I do finish games because some of the endings have been quite incredible. There is a sense of satisfaction and wholeness knowing that you’ve seen the story to the end. Off the top of my head the some great endings include Jedi: Fallen Order, Mafia, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Plague: A Tale of Innocence, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Hollow Knight and many others that I’m glad I did not miss out on.

4 Likes

To be honest I rarely finish games. Then again the games I’ve been playing lately aren’t the type of games with a defined end.

I just find myself getting bored and wanting to playing something else before I get to the end, and I feel no need or impulse to have to finish the game. So I just leave it.

At the moment the games I’ve started but probably am not going to finish are: Need For Speed Heat and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla. I loved my time with these games but I feel like other games are commanding my attention.

4 Likes

Admittedly, I rarely finish most of the games (that have a definite ending) that I start. It’s a problem that I’ve promised myself countless times I’d try to improve, but typically end up back in the same boat again.

It’s not necessarily because I get bored (although there have been a few times where that is the reason) it’s just that I have so little time to play games, and there’s always a new shiny to play.

Added to that is the fact that I like a large variety of different themes and game genres. And on top of that, due to the compulsive game collecting issue I seem to have developed, I have a ridiculously large game library.

Not finishing story games and single player campaigns doesn’t bug me nearly as much as I suspect it might others though. I know some people will obsessively play just one game at a time in order to get through it to the end before they start on another game. Me, I’ll happily go back to a game in six months time, play a little more of the story, and then put it aside again for another six months.

4 Likes

I finish most games that I start. Last year I played 44 games of which I didn’t complete 6. The year before that I had a better ratio and before that I used to finish all the games that I start. However, these days I will quit if a game is too difficult or if the game really doesn’t click with me.

So far in 2021 played 14 games of which I didn’t complete 3.

The Beautiful Piece of Art:

4 Likes

What put you off from Observation? I’ve been eyeing it for awhile…

Are those numbers your review score of the game?

Firstly I got confused with Observation and Observer. I went into the game thinking I would be playing Observer. Then the actual game, albeit interesting, just didn’t grab me.

Yes, out of 10.

2 Likes

Depends on the genre. CRPG’s I finish all that I start. Action games I often lose interest and don’t finish.

2 Likes

Almost never, unless the campaign or quest is 5 - 10 hours, give or take.
I tend to lose interest after the first few hours, tbh.

2 Likes

Depends. Mostly, no.

However, there are games like the Mass Effect and Persona series that I’ll play to the end, and make sure to do every side quest available. Then when I’m done those, I end up not touching games for weeks/months due to the dreaded ‘post epic game completion syndrome’…

3 Likes

Im the same

Some I finish others I just cant.

2 Likes

I generally finish or do most of the game. At minimum the story. but the real question is when does one complete a game. Take GTA V online. there always more content incoming.

2 Likes