Do you really need a new GPU?

Since it would be a bit too wordy to use as a topic heading the full question is as follows:

Now that GPU prices are falling and becoming a bit more palatable are you considering upgrading? And do you actually feel the need to upgrade especially with the advancement of upscaling technologies such as DLSS and FSR?

The next generation of Nvidia cards are looking to be quite hefty upgrades over the current gen but that could be at the cost on increased power requirements. How much of a factor is that considering the cost of electricity these days?

Nearly a year ago I was able to upgrade my GPU by selling my in-demand (due to crypto) Vega 64 and buy a 2070 Super for an extra few hundred. It was about a 30% increase in raw performance and then the benefit of DLSS too. As it stands I’m having no trouble gaming at 1440p with decent frames and have no real need to consider upgrading at this stage.

A lot of us had to make do with what we had during the crazy pricing over the last two years and now are finding that actually what we have is quite fine to be honest.

1 Like

It all depends on what you have honestly, I currently still have a 1050 Ti, and there are more and more games that I am struggling to play on 60 FPS, also I feel the requirements for games are just gonna keep increasing, I doubt we have seen the pinnacle of game engines, graphics and textures just yet.

However with services like “GeForce Now”, (cloud based gaming) the personal requirement for upgrading might become less, since the GPU is on the server side, that of course requires a constant network connection and if ever your internet is down, you are stuck without a GPU and you might just have to ‘shudder’ go outside.

4 Likes

i have a 1080 who’s fans failed, so i retrofitted some standard PWM 80mm fans and cable tied it to the plastic shroud…all to squeeze the remaining life outta that card while i can.

Now i would LOVE to upgrade, but while my 1080 still lives I simply cant justify it at this time… Its money better spent putting into our Home Loan.

3 Likes

Nice! I like the ingenuity

1 Like

I, too, am running a 1080ti, and I gotbit for a steal before lockdown.

I run most games just fine at 1440p, but I always play with the settings to get optimal performance.

When it come to my triple monitor setup I often feel the lack of oomf. iRacing, being a hubdred years old, runs flawlessly and never drops below 60fps. ACC and others need a lot of playing with settings.

DLSS and equivalents look bad at 1080p resolution so I prefer to turn it off.

I am always looking at a new GPU but it still is just out of reach. Hopefully the newer cards will mean 30 series Nvidia cards drop.

3 Likes

Prices have already dropped quite a bit in recent times…

2 Likes

I couldnt play Far Cry 6 or Ghost recon wildlands, it got to about 15-10 FPS before I gave up, all on basic settings. I finally upgraded and now its ultra all the way.

2 Likes

I always put it down to resolution 1080, 1440, 4K, 1080x3, 1440x3, 3440x1440 or 5120x1440 and framerate 60, 90, 120, 144, that drives the need for upgrading. If you want to see the future, you follow the game engines. When many new games drop on a new game engine, like Unreal Engine 5, then we will most likely see a drop in average framerates on the same hardware.

There are so many youtube videos showing people that you don’t need monster GPU’s to game anymore, especially if all you need is 1080p@60

I like to try new stuff on every major generation, and i jump around between red and green. But i’m probably very much the odd one out here

4 Likes

A drop does not mean its affordable :rofl: i need MOAR DROPS!

2 Likes

I also junp around often, but am never on the latest generation. Normally 1 or 2 back. Once you have a minister of finance who is trying to save for the department of international affairs (aka a wife who wants to travel) you cannot justify these prices for gaming gear. And since expenditure has increased due to extras for the sim rig, the budget allocation has diminished further.

3 Likes

i still have a 960 in my pc, the last time i upgraded anything was in 2017 i think. the new ryzen 7000 series looks tempting, i have a dell 3060 micro pc that i use as my media machine and i am highly impressed with the performance out of that thing considering it only has intergrated uhd 630 so the plan is to upgrade to the new 7000 ryzen series with onboard rdna 2, im sure it will be better than my 960 graphically and it will consume a heck of alot less electricity, as long as i can play the game im happy, not into squeezing the most performance out of a cpu and gpu these days. also with onboard graphics the chances of the gpu failing is alot lower since its inside the apu

3 Likes

Not at the moment. I bought at 3080 at release before the pricing craze.

I game at 3440x1440 100hz. A monitor upgrade is due before another GPU but still interested to see what is released.

1 Like