Do you remember your first hand-held gaming device?

Forget the Switch lite’s, PSP’s and Gameboys - for many of us our very first handheld gaming console looked like this:

We were at a flea market yesterday and the kids were allowed to get something of their choice from the stalls. My son chose a POP (i.e. fake imitation of a PSP shape) with a variety of Tetris games on it. It reminded me of a 700+ in 1 device that I had as a kid - roughly 20ish games with 32 varitations of each. Despite how basic it was I remember it had some fun variations of Tetris where you got bombs and rocket ships that could shoot blocks in or out.

Anyone else here grow up with one of these glorious gaming devices?

3 Likes

I remember having a Nintendo (at least I am sure it was), which was a flip open and I am sure it was Donkey Kong. I am almost certain it was almost exactly like this, even down to the colours.

3 Likes

I don’t remember it completely. I know I gave it away. It had some sort of police game on it.

3 Likes

First, one of these

Then, one of these

But before either of those, there was one of these

4 Likes

My first one

6 Likes

My first ever handheld “gaming device” was probably a Nokia phone where I could play Snake and Bounce. If we’re talking devices exclusively for gaming, then that would be my Switch Lite that I got in 2020…

5 Likes

Yup, my brother and I had these things too! Fun little toy.

My first “real” handheld would be the GBA SP. Since then I bought every Nintendo and Sony handheld. I kind of miss dedicated devices like that.

Games had to be designed differently to their console counterparts. The Switch is basically just a handheld version of a home console (for better and worse).

The GBA had some real gems on it. Golden Sun, Advance Wars, FFT and the Metroid games come to my mind. I remember playing FFT with a friend at school, using the link cable. Fun times.

5 Likes

Does a penis count?

5 Likes

The OG handheld:

My first electronic handheld gaming device was probably:

And then:

Years later Kidd Redd got a Nintendo DS Lite that I used when she wasn’t watching :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Damn that takes me back and yeah, probably my first handheld haha.
After that is was pretty much just PC gaming. And the phone if you want to count that as a handheld.
The first modern handheld I had was the DS Lite, many hours were spent on it.

2 Likes

Surprisingly I still have it. No idea if it still works but I doubt it.

Also had this one, no idea where it might be now.

3 Likes

I had the donkey kong one as well (stolen from my sister :innocent:)

2 Likes

Oh wow, I had a Donkey Kong Jr just like that! I think that was actually my first handheld game.

3 Likes