Don’t Assume My Topic Thread

I think you probably do…

It’s the Jewish festival of Passover (aka Pesach).

You know the story. Israelites don’t want to be Egyptian slaves anymore. Pharaoh says “nah”. Moses asks nicely. Pharaoh says “nah”. Moses chats to the Big Fellow, organises the ten plagues to convince the stubborn pharaoh chop to “let my people go!” He relents when all the Egyptian firstborn’s land up dead. Moses and the Israelites gap it, cross over the Red Sea through parted waters. The chasing “we changed our minds, we want you back” Egyptians get super moist by the closing waters. The GPS-less Israelites wander around the desert for the traditional 40 days and 40 nights, before settling on a piece of land that subsequently becomes one of the most contested pieces of the planet for the next thousands of years.

:grinning:

Pesach observes the passing over of the homes of the first born, the exodus from Egypt, and the subsequent establishment of Israel as the land of “milk and honey”. It’s a pretty big deal in the Jewish faith.

4 Likes

Got one bit wrong in your haste, Uncle Greg.

Chag Sameach, friends.

2 Likes

haha I was referring more the red wine, but that works too. Thanks for the lamen translation.

:fist_right:

2 Likes

40 days 40 nights / 40 years same, same. :grinning:

4 Likes

The wine is used to symbolise the fact that the Israelites could eventually eat and drink like nobility in their new found freedom. You drink four cups of wine through the course of a Pesach Seder.

1 Like

That I did not know, thanks for sharing.

Are you giving me permission then? But what sort of wine is that? Not something I have ever seen?
:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would assume it is a kosher wine, just curious @GregRedd since I now work for a company with a lot of Jewish people. Some who are very strict Kosher - how strict are you and your family?

1 Like

Absolutely! It’s a requirement. And you’re even supposed to eat and drink while reclining, just like the rich and noble on their fancy loungers.

The wine is kosher wine specifically bottled for Pesach. It’s ridiculously sweet and thick. Think dessert wine.

2 Likes

That actually sounds amazing. I need to start a rainy-day savings account for these types of things.

1 Like

Not strict at all. We’re a very modern hybrid family. My Jewish wife took care of that when she agreed to marry me, a very unreligious, very lapsed Catholic.

We observe the high holy days and a few of the minor festivals, try do Friday night dinner as regularly as possible, and follow Jewish customs and traditions. But we’re not an overly religious household at all.

We also mark the major Christian celebrations for my and @Pamar’s sides of the families. My mom was born on Christmas Day and is named Nöelette, so that’s been a big part of things all my life too.

6 Likes

Greetings of the day!

Chag Sameach! @GregRedd

Just stopped at Mediterranean and man Fish is flying out the window today. They even had to use their take a number and wait to be called system.

4 Likes

Good Friday mornings!

:grinning::wave:t2:

4 Likes

Good Friday to the people of the Palace have a great day

4 Likes

Good Friday indeed.

5 Likes

Morning all.

What a time to be able to serve, today is a good (Fri)day indeed.

4 Likes

Good morning everyone.

4 Likes

Morning people of the palace

3 Likes

‘Ello there.

:grinning::wave:t2:

3 Likes

Doh.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: The Mos Eisley Cantina - A Star Wars Hub