E3 hype thread

Less than a week to go before E3. I always get really excited about E3.

This thread is a general discussion thread for all things E3 related. I’ll try to update with stream links as they get shared, and with any new and awesome reveals that may happen.

Also for reference, here is a handy schedule for all the streaming times of the different conferences.

Timezone EA Microsoft Bethesda Devolver Digital Square Enix Ubisoft PC Gaming Show Sony Nintendo
PDT (Los Angeles) 11:00:00 Saturday, 9 June 13:00:00 Sunday, 10 June 18:30:00 Sunday, 10 June 20:00:00 Sunday, 10 June 10:00:00 Monday, 11 June 13:00:00 Monday, 11 June 15:00:00 Monday, 11 June 18:00:00 Monday, 11 June 09:00:00 Tuesday, 12 June
SAST (Johannesburg) 20:00:00 Saturday, 9 June 22:00:00 Sunday, 10 June 03:30:00 Monday, 11 June 05:00:00 Monday, 11 June 19:00:00 Monday, 11 June 22:00:00 Monday, 11 June 00:00:00 Tuesday, 12 June 03:00:00 Tuesday, 12 June 18:00:00 Tuesday, 12 June
5 Likes

Goddamn Sony. Now I will have to avoid the internet and the group till I can watch it.

Here is a nifty site which hosts all the streams so you can watch it at your leisure. Haven’t used it before, so I’ll give it a try this year. Might work well for those sessions which happen very late/early (like Sony).

2 Likes

I’m all hyped up! Can’t wait for the streams!

Those times :frowning:

3 in the morning on a freaking monday!

I have not hype for anything, to be honest.

Maybe new IPs that pique my interest.

Now you know how it feels to be an NHL fan during the playoffs… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So…I have some stats!!!

pause for applause

With E3 so close, let us do a recap of the number of titles and their release dates that were shown at the various conferences last year:

This table shows the number of games shown at each conference, the number of titles that had a release date of either 2017 or 2018, and the percentage of the games the teams showed that had to come out within a year.

E32017graph
This graph shows the ratio of games shown and their proposed release dates.

It was interesting to see that Microsoft showed the most games with proposed release dates of 2017. So let’s see how close they came to actually release during their intended time…

E32017completion
Ouch…only EA and Bethesda stuck to their release schedules and only showed games that came out within the same year since the last E3.

Let’s go deeper into the data though:

So this paints a much less bad picture. It looks like all the conference members released the games they said they would be released within that year. Though the data does have some anomalies. Like Crackdown 3, that was pushed out, but Microsoft released a different game in 2017 that balances their numbers.

What will E3 2018 have on offer? Will we see basically the same structure and numbers? Not long now until we find out.

3 Likes

This thread is awfully quiet.

EA announced Origin Access Premier, which will cost R199 per month or 1199.99 per year, and will let you play their new games when they come out.

Other things that may be of interest:

EA conference apparently wasn’t anything special. I’m looking forward to some of the other ones though, especially Bethesda and Ubisoft.

3 Likes

Shamelessly ripped this excellent summary off Reddit. (go give the OP an upvote!). Says he will try do the other main conferences in a similar format.

@DohcWP has the full conference available on his post on the main site here:

EA’s E3 Conference June 9th, 2018
BFV Multiplayer

• Can move defensive weapons (artillery)
  • Better destruction system
  • Customize everything (player, vehicles, weapons, etc.)
  • Reiterated no lootboxes, no season pass
  • Battle Royale
  • Grand Operations
  • Another trailer shown

BFV Singleplayer

• Follows different characters in WW2 similar to BF1’s story mode

FIFA 19

• New champions league mode
  • FIFA 18 free trial available now
  • Trailer shown

EA Cloud streaming service

• Multiple devices
  • Not out yet

Origin Access Premiere

• All new PC games
  • Madden NFL back on PC for the first time in a decade
  • Access to “the vault”
  • Library of games from EA and other publishers
  • Out later this summer
  • Edit: $15 a month or $100 a year (thanks u/rentisb)

Respawn’s new game

• Not ready to show all their new stuff (they have 3 games)
  • Star Wars Game
  • Name: Jedi Fallen Order
  • Be playing as a Jedi
  • Takes place during the dark times (when the Jedi are being hunted)
  • Between episodes 3 and 4
  • Holiday of 2019
  • Nothing shown

Battlefront 2

• Admitted it wasn’t as good as they wanted
  • Committed to improving it
  • Solo (movie) content
  • New squad system for easier playing with friends
  • Starfighter mode
  • New multiplayer sandbox mode for attacking command posts and taking capital ships
  • Clone Wars content this year
  • New heroes and villains
  • Grievous
  • Obi-Wan
  • Count Dooku
  • Anakin Skywalker

Unravel two (EA Original)

• Co-op
  • Designed to be played with two characters (even in singleplayer)
  • Demo and trailer shown
  • Out today
  • A Way Out was very successful, leading EA to pushing more EA Originals

Sea of Solitude (EA Original)

• Concept is focused on loneliness
  • Based on real story despite being in a fantastical setting
  • About a young woman who is suffering from loneliness and becomes a monster. Game is about finding how this happened and how to turn her human again.
  • Trailer shown
  • Coming early 2019

NBA Live 19

• Trailer shown

Madden 19

• Trailer shown

Command and Conquer Rivals

• Shoutcasted over mobile strategy game (why?)
  • Pre-Alpha out today on Android
  • Trailer shown after the gameplay

Anthem

• New trailer
  • Trying to merge story with open-world multiplayer
  • Shared world but bases/hub areas are singleplayer
  • February 22nd, 2019 (same day as Days Gone) release date
  • Various gameplay clips
  • Lots of concept art still being shown (could mean a delay is possible)
  • The suit is called a Javelin
  • 4 suits (classes) with different abilities
  • Can change suits whenever
  • No lootboxes, no gameplay related microtransactions (i.e. there will be cosmetic microtransactions) (thanks for the clarification u/DrasticDream)
  • Can play the game solo
  • Gameplay demo

No Skate 4 :confused:

Personal Highlights

• Respawn is working on a Star Wars game
  • Sea of Solitude looks like an interesting indie game
  • More info about Anthem along with a gameplay demo
  • Overall: Pretty meh conference, nothing shocking and lots of unnecessary stuff
4 Likes

Personally, I thought the EA presentation was underwhelming. I sort of give them a little leeway because they have such a large variety of genre and products to showcase, and such a wide range of gamer types to satisfy, that it can’t be easy to please all of them with everything. The market for games like Unravel Two and Sea of Solitude is very different from the Madden and NBA crowd.

That said, they do tend to shoot themselves in the foot a bit every now and then. Bringing the “I’m chasing that cash” Madden-bro on was stupidly awkward - pro-gamers generally don’t make for pro presenters! And the 10 minutes of shoutcasting a mobile game? Seriously EA!

I also think it’s telling that, imo, the two best presentations came from the leads of the indie studios (under the EA Originals banner) making Unravel Two and Sea of Solitude. Maybe that’s just my bias for those sort of games showing though.

Although:

The Anthem segment was okay. It’s looking more like a game I’d enjoy now that I know I can solo it and focus on story, rather than be constantly embarrassed online by my pathetic multiplayer abilities. (Also, it may just be my imagination, but the narrator in the new cinematic trailer sounds very much like our Charlize?)

The frequent mention of “no lootboxes” by various presenters throughout the conference was amusing :slight_smile: They know they screwed up.

1 Like

I am avoiding the internet until I can watch everything. The premier pass from origin is goddamn brilliant. it’s way to redeem themselves a little. If this is as robust as Xbox game pass, I am very happy. I like a lot of ea games, but I don’t always want to pay for them since its EA. But if I can try them, hell yes I will.

Also for me, the biggest moment from the EA conference probably doesn’t matter to any of you. Madden 19 is coming back to pc. The last one was 2009 I think. Madden on pc is just infinitely better than on console. So I am excited as fuck.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all the content.

So I watched the conference live, and I have to say I was really disappointed. The show felt very amateurish for some reason. It felt like they did not rehearse everything beforehand.

BF5 didn’t show all that much, but it’s kinda intriguing to me. I liked Battlefield 1, and I’m feeling like I would enjoy this one as well.

It was really interesting to see that they are releasing Unravel 2 like right after they announce it. I think that was rather cool. You see the game and you can immediately get it.

I really felt for the Battlefront guy. When he came out, it looked like he went to war. You can clearly see and hear from what he announced that the release of Battlefront 2 really made a huge impact in not just their team, but the entire company.

Anthem looks absolutely stunning. I think it will be fun if they pull off what they showed. The gameplay looked really impressive. But this is the EA Destiny game. So I’m not really expecting a strong storyline like what Bioware is known for.

Overall the conference was kinda meh. I’d give it a 4/10.

3 Likes

I’ve created a YouTube playlist and been adding just the launch, reveal and teaser trailers to it to avoid having to scan through hours of presentation footage to find something. (Click the hamburger menu on the top left and scroll through the list to find what you want). Will keep adding to it as more become available.

5 Likes

XBox E3 2018 Presentation

Full video of the entire presentation on @DohcWP’s main site post:

50 games, 18 exclusives, 15 world premieres shown.

Halo Infinite opening preview

Bethesda: Fallout 76

• Fallout 4 to Game Pass today
  • FO76 is Prequel to other Fallout games
  • 4 times bigger than previous games
  • Set in West Virginia
  • Pre-order from 15 June

Playground Games: Forza Horizon 4

• October 2 launch
  • Included in Game Pass from launch!
  • UK setting, dynamic weather, server wide simultaneously
  • Seasons change environment, visuals
  • Quick chat via D-Pad
  • Shared open world, seamless co-op
  • XBX1 has 60 fps
  • Forzathon Live community events
  • McLaren Senna is the signature car

XBox Game Pass

• 100+ games
  • Faster access “FastStart” in June update for select titles
  • Halo collection coming later 2018
  • Horizon 4, Crackdown 3 to GP on launch day
  • Ashen, Afterparty, Warhammer Vermintide 2 on release day
  • The Division, Elder Scrolls Online Tamriel Unlimited, Fallout 4 (all XB1X Enhanced) all playable today in GP

5 New Microsoft Studios announced: The Initiative, UnDead Labs (State of Decay 2 devs), Playground Games (Forza Horizon), Ninja Theory (Hellblade), Compulsion Games (We Happy Few)

Capcom: Devil May Cry 5

• Hidei " English is hard, you do it Matt"
  • 10 years since DMC4
  • XBoxX1 Enhanced
  • “It is the best game we have ever made”

Gears of War 5

• Play as Kait in the biggest Gears world ever
  • Play solo or with a friend in local split-screen co-op, or online co-op
  • 4K & 60FPS
  • Coming in 2019
  • Game Pass on release

MS working on cloud services streaming. Coming soon.
Next XBox consoles are “deep in development”

Closed with Cyberpunk 2077 World Premier! Looks damn good!! (“Coming to XBox Store” is all we got)

Exclusives:

• Ori and the Will of the Wisps (2019)
  • Crackdown 3 (XB & Win10) Terry Crewes! Boom Shakalaka Mother F-er!!
  • Sea of Thieves new content: Cursed Land (July), Forsaken Shores (September)
  • Forza Horizon 4 (XB & Win10) Based in the UK, so much for the Japan rumours! Looks of varied weather effects, London black cab, and a hovercraft!
  • Whole bunch of new to console releases will try find a list, there are a lot!
  • Session? Skate game, Think that’s what it was called
  • Black Desert Online
  • Cuphead (new characters, new bosses) available now, new version 2019?
  • Tunic (XBX1 Enhanced) single, indie developer made

Premieres:

• Sefiro: Shadows Die Twice (2019)
  • The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - An Original Story in the Life is Strange Universe (June 26 - Download for free)
  • Kingdom Hearts (29 Jan, 2019) [some weird Disney involvement here]
  • Player Unknowns Battlegrounds - New maps, new modes (Available from today)
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition (Remastered, new characters) “This Winter”
  • The Division 2 (March 15, 2019) Game play shown, looks very good, set in Washington DC, 6 months after virus outbreak
  • Devil May Cry 5 (Spring 2019)
  • Jump Force (2019)
  • Dying Light 2 (XBX1 Enhanced) (game play demo shown) looks bloody brutal, emphasis on the “bloody”. I like it
  • Battletoads (XB & Win10) (GamePass on release) 2019
  • Just Cause 4 (December 4, 2018) (pre-order from today)
  • Gears Pop & Gears Tactics (Gears of War based mobile games)
  • Gears of War 5 (XB & Win10) (2019)

Other Games:

• NieR: Automata Become As Gods Edition (XB1 Enhanced) 26 June, Pre-order from today
  • Metro: Exodus (Feb 22, 2019) (XB & Win10)
  • Battlefield V
  • We Happy Few (Aug 10, 2018) (Pre-order from today)
  • Lara Croft: Shadow of the Tomb Raider (14 September) (pre-order “Croft Edition” for early access)
2 Likes

they bought 5 studios ! damn Phil

well i knew about the playground games one but ninja theory :smiley:

1 Like

F*&C(* Telkom cant even stream the conference at 240p properly on this 4mb line

What an absolute bumper show by Microsoft! So many awesome premiers. EA should be ashamed of their pitiful show when compared to what Microsoft delivered. The only thing absent from the show was Age of Empires 4, but seeing as the focus was on XBOX it wouldn’t have suited the show… Still hoping for some news soon.

1 Like

Okay, that was a pretty damn impressive presentation. No frills, no fuss. Just tons of previews, trailers and info. The handful of personal presentations by developers were all brief enough not to be boring, and some were even pretty damn interesting. Some really excellent trailers too!

XBox leveraging their new and existing assets and MS integrating a lot of gaming environment in cloud and Windows environments. They know Sony probably still hold the advantage on consoles, and I think they’re focused on expanding their audience with a large and very varied roster of new games and genres. And they did it very well here. EA should be hanging their heads in shame.

Devolver Digital “Conference”

Pretty much the same approach taken as last year. 18 minutes long. Just 3 or 4 games revealed. And a whole bunch of unapologetic smack talk. This is top quality shit-posting made real. This is not something that can be summarized in bullet point form. It needs to be seen, to be experienced :smile:

(But it definitely should not be seen and experienced at work or in public without headphones - VERY NSFW!!)

(Will replace this with official video once that is out in case this one gets removed)
1 Like