Earth Hour 2023

It’s the last Saturday of March, which means it’s Earth Hour Day again.

Join One Of The World’s Largest Movements for Nature

It’s somewhat ironic that at a time that most of South Africa has been “switching off” daily for ages now, I get a reminder email from the WWF that it’s Earth Hour time and asking me to remember to switch off again this year at 20:30 for an hour. Fact is we are scheduled for load shedding between 18:00 and 20:30, a significantly longer period than the 60 minutes Earth Hour asks of us.

Notwithstanding the point that we’ve, like a number of others, have been running the house on solar for the last while, are initiatives like Earth Hour still of even vague concern or interest to you and yours? Earth Hour has been a thing since 2007 and I remember the first few that were promoted here in the early 2010s were pretty well received and many people were quite excited to “do something for the Earth for just one hour”.

That said, switching off for an hour was the original idea behind Earth Hour - there are many other ways that we can choose to give an hour back to the Earth these days.

My question is does the enthusiasm for doing a small thing to help address climate concerns still exist in these parts? Or are we so jaded and frazzled by load shedding and the many other examples of waste, that we just couldn’t be bothered with it all anymore?

1 Like