ECOTAG - The Open World gaming personality test

Here’s a fun little metric I found while listening to the Triple Click Podcast (Link to the podcast if you are interested). In the discussion Kirk Hamilton (ex-Kotaku reviewer and writer) came up with an interesting way to profiling open-world games. Similar to the personality tests, there are sliding scale metrics by which open-world games can be categorised.

His theory is this, any open-world game can be ranked on three different metrics:
Emergent - Controlled (How dynamic/simulated is the open world)
Opaque - Transparent (How mysterious is the open world)
Aesthetic - Gamey (how involved is moving through the open world)

For each game, you then give the first letter of the side it will most likely be at.

For example; Elden Ring would be a COA (Controlled, Opaque, Aesthetic) game, while Minecraft is EOG (Emergent, Opaque, Gamey) and Assassin’s Creed is CTG (Controlled, Transparent, Gamey).

When you list a bunch of games like that, you tend to see what type of open-world game you like as well, and I was wondering what ope-world games you would classify as?

I’m kinda struggling to visualise this.

Mafia = CTG

Do I have that correct?

I would say Mafia would be more CTA - since travelling through the world is quite realistic in that there are speed limits and rules of the road you need to adhere or risk getting into trouble with the cops.

I think.

Ok I can get behind that. In that case something like Saints Row would be Gamey.

2 Likes

Ya that’s a good example