F1 24 - EA Sports F1 Games

Very possibly. I guess it is the first outing of the engine in the wild so it might still be a bit buggy. But Codies have been good at patching things like this rather quickly.

Thatā€™s my suspicion, from a quick Googling expedition it does indeed look like F1 2019 is the first Ego Engine 4.0 title from Codemasters. The next ones will be the new DIRT and GRID titles. Which does kinda make sense to me.

1 Like

I had a late night session and all sound and engine issues were gone! Finally got to complete the AUS GP in my first season for Mclaren.

I am playing with:
XBOX One controller
Kontrol Freek long extension on the left stick
ABS on
Traction on medium
Auto gears (tried using the right stick as gear lever, but a flick up often picks up a down as well when the stick flicks back and then I just get frustrated)
I have brake lines on when on practise, but turn them off during the races.

What are you guys playing with and on? Any steering wheels? Send me some pics!

2 Likes

I donā€™t have pictures of my setup, not am I going to as many people will freak out about poor cable management and PC on the floorā€¦

But I am driving with a Logitech G920 steering wheel
All assist off except Traction control on Medium
All automatic things off (manual ERS, manual starts, manual pit entries and exits)
Manual transmission with suggested gear
I have break lines on during practice as well, but off for FP3 onwards.
Currently have to difficulty set for career on 98.

1 Like

My setup is very similar to @DieGrootHammer.
Logitech G920 steering wheel.
Iā€™m learning to drive with all assists off. Still lose control of the car every now and then but getting better.
Automatic ERS, starts and pit stuff. Havenā€™t tried them on manual yet.
Full 2D driving line.
Difficulty currently on 30 while Iā€™m learning to drive without assists.

2 Likes

Forgot to mention I play with manual ERS, fuel and starts, but the pits is just the pitsā€¦

And my difficulty is at 75 and just a good enough fight to make it interesting. I forgot to change this at the beginning of the career and blew everyone away with the raw speed of the Mclarenā€¦ Then realised the default is 20 :joy:

2 Likes

Solved my DX12 & graphical issues over the weekend. Turns out all I had to do was disable the Steam overlay thing.

My first Career race was a disaster. Took Giovanazziā€™s seat at Alfa after the F2 scenario bits. Did okay through the practice sessions, getting as high as P6 in FP3. Doing One-Shot Qualifying, fluffed the lap and qualified 19th. Got clipped in the first corner and lost the right-side end plate on Lap 1. And then lost the other side at the chicane when I ran into Kubica rather stupidly. I could see it coming so tried to avoid it, landed up spinning out and falling 15-odd seconds behind by the end of Lap 1. Decided to just try to finish the race. Pitted earlier than Iā€™d planned, picked up a new front wing and tyres, and then just cruised around at the back. Only one other car dropped out, so I finished 19th and a disappointment to my new team.

Spent a bit of time yesterday morning trying again to sort out my wheel settings. And got nowhere fast. Literally. :expressionless: Iā€™m starting to think my 8/9 year old Logitech DFGT wheel may be past itā€™s prime. Managed to get similar (kak) times to what I was getting with the using an Xbox controller - and I have next to zero controller coordination. Best I managed in the Red Bull on Austria TT for the Race of Geeks was a 1:08.xxx - 3 seconds between my RB and Hammer and Oltmanā€™s Ferrari times is huge around that short circuit. More worrying for me than slow time though was the lack of control and driveability I had. I think I managed only 2/3 clean laps out of the 30-odd I did around that circuit.

Think Iā€™m going to reset everything back to defaults and give it one more try. Any suggestions on good circuits and cars to use to try calibrate a wheel (or the controller if need be) a little more logically than just randomly driving around in a hit-and-miss way?

2 Likes

Question for all you pro drivers: What can I do to prevent understeer? Itā€™s not something that I ever really felt in F1 2018 but Iā€™m really struggling with understeer in F1 2019.

Especially with the F2 cars.

You could try adding a little front wing or stiffening the rear suspension and increasing the rear antiroll bar a little.

1 Like

What camera view is everyone using? Which others have you tried? Pros and cons?

1 Like

F1 2019 cars do have more understeer than previous titles out of the box. Iā€™ve seen many Youtubers struggle with understeer as well when starting out in F1 2019. Front downforce would help in getting the car to grip more. You can also change camber and toe to add more responsiveness in the initial turn-in into a corner. This might slightly give the car worse tire wear or be slower in high-speed corners, but will give you a more planted feel, so play around with it on different circuits. And then just driving style change. Break a bit harder or longer into a corner to reduce your speed more. On the indicators, donā€™t turn the car while the corner indicator is still red or orange. Only turn on green. You might think it is slower, but slow-in fast-out is most of the times the faster option in any turn.

Mostly playing with TCam view at the moment, just because I have a relatively small monitor. Cockpit cam is fun for time trails and I more often than not drive in cockpit view for time trails. In races, TCam gives better viewing angles to see cars next to you when racing.

2 Likes

I had the same understeer problem, but dont know enough about car setups to change that. So I adapted my driving style to brake earlier, turn in on a ā€œcruiseā€ and accelerate halfway through a turn with half throttle slowly into full throttle. I am sure that this is probably the way I am supposed to drive anyway, but its new to me!

Oh, and I also use TCam (the one just above the driverā€™s head) to allow a little better awareness around me. Cockpit view is my second choice and on tracks I know really well I might switch to that.

2 Likes

I reset everything in the Logitech software and then I took the default wheel software and saved it as a new profile in the game. Changed the saturation and such in there and now the game works much better!

I hope everything stays right now.

So I spent about an hour driving in the rain without assists and being really slow but will get better.

1 Like

So last nights race brought me back down to earth. Seems I am not as fast as I thought. At Baku I managed to qualify stone dead last on the grid, behind the damn Williams even. The race went better and managed to do some nice dive-bombs to get up to 15th place. But was a rather frustrating race and the Torro Rosso seriously lacks straight line speed.

1 Like

Also, PSA for anyone interested in multiplayer, the weekly event is open and ready. It is extremely easy and I like the format. It is a full race weekend at The Red Bull Ring in Austria with the spec cars. You do all the practice programs, and do full qualifying. The actual race is within a few days so you have time to complete it all before then.

And I do mean it is easy. I didnā€™t push too hard in qualifying and ended up qualifying in first by a whopping 5 seconds! Even all the practice programs can be easily finished. I didnā€™t drive against actual humans I think. Looked like ghost cars from other players perhaps. But will see how the race goes. Plus you get free points to spend on customizing your character and car.

4 Likes

So last night I had an amazing race at Spain. I accidentally changed gearboxes for the race, and was handed a 5 place grid penalty. Which was not great Iā€™ll admit. My qualifying time was also okay, but the Torro Rosso still doesnā€™t have the pace, so I ended up qualifying in 15th place, just behind Albon. Which meant I had to start the race from the back of the grid.

And man what a race!! So many side-by-side moments and passes. The one stop strategy also worked a treat and I ended up finishing the race in 9th, my second points finish for my season.

Itā€™s great to see how the different midfield teams differ so widely from track to track. There is no one team at the moment that is clearly dominating the midfield, and we take turns in being quick or slow.

3 Likes

Tried the Weekly GP thing last night, and youā€™re right, it is pretty easy. Iā€™m pretty sure all the other cars were AI, and Iā€™m guessing that the actual race will also be against AI or player Ghosts with similar quali times to mine? Despite finding it pretty easy, I still only got into the bottom 5% of the times, a bunch of seconds behind you. Iā€™m still kak. :smiley:

The awards are based on finishing rank at the end of the week, so presumably we will be ranked by total race time (or fastest race lap maybe?) after doing the GP.

Is there anyway to run practice laps at all or TT with the Multiplayer Spec car?

2 Likes

I also had a good race last night. The first one in Australia. Iā€™ve been trying it for a couple of days now but first it was the steering wheel problems and then it was the rain combined with no traction control problems.

I am really really slow when I switch off traction control. And I really really struggle with the starts when traction control is off. And man when it rains, it feels like Iā€™m affected by it but the AI just drive like normal. As soon as it stopped raining I just overtook everyone. Um I should increase the difficulty again when using traction control.

Iā€™m fine without ABS now and manual gears are now second nature.

And @GregRedd just posted while I was typing. Hmmm maybe I should try this weekly GP thing too!

2 Likes

Started my practise rounds of Silverstone, trying to learn the track. I can see some room for improvement!

2 Likes

Baku is kaku. That is all.

2 Likes