Fallout 76 BETA has a nasty bug

For me, there is almost nothing I would not push through when playing a beta. We all know they can be buggy and nightmarish. But I think Bethseda has officially managed to get the worst bug in the world. A one button click, any button, any time, during the download, can cause the game to redownload the client from scratch.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/fallout-76-beta-has-a-nasty-bug/

That is a pretty big problem.

1 Like

Pretty odd bug, but I guess that’s what can happen when you’re using your own custom client rather than something like Steam.

1 Like

If you unlock the frame rate, via the ini and get it past 200 fps you break the game and can walk/run super fast and also get a buff to melee combat speed.

Well, most common game engines have multiple ways to deal with “events”; I’ll use the Unity example as it’s the easiest to understand. You have two methods “Update” and “FixedUpdate”. Update runs EVERY frame, so if the game runs at 60FPS you have 60 update triggers per second.

So let’s say you have an object that needs to move 15km/h (4.16667 meters per second) using a “fixed” rate of 60 updates per second basically boils down to a simple calculation of increasing a value (and I’m oversimplifying) by 0.069445 every time the update triggers.

With “FixedUpdate” it runs a calculation in-step with the physics engine; So now the calculation is (oversimplified again) “the result of the movement I need to make based on the forces applied to me since the last update”

I’ve oversimplified quite a bit, so please excuse any mistakes I’ve made as this is for clarity.

1 Like