Fast & Furious Crossroads

It was initially revealed at the 2019 Game Awards Show, by stars of the original movie Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez. Hinted at for at least 2 years before that, the Slightly Mad Studios developed Fast & Furious Crossroads was due to release this month to coincide with the release of the Fast 9 movie.

Initial concerns that the movie’s gloabl pandemic prompted delay to April 2021 would result in the game being similarly delayed were alleviated early today when Codemasters (who bought SMS late last year) released a short F&F Crossroads gameplay first look video, that indicates that the game has a new launch date - 7 August:

Sadly, based on that video and the equally poorly received Announcement Trailer from last year, it seems that the fan groups of both the movie franchise and gamers looking for a new driving game to call their own are both equally disappointed.

Many of the same disparaging comments on the original trailer are echoed again on the new video. Things like:

This looks like a fan-made trailer done in GTA V.

Cant believe they are still making games for ps2 in 2019

I was expecting it to say it’s a mobile game.

I love the voice acting on this, it’s like you’re right inside the TV!

And, to be fair to the scourge of modern society that is the YouTube Comment section, you’d think that with the combined efforts of the talented teams behind such graphically rich and technically sound games such as the Project Cars, Grid and F1 franchises, things would be looking a lot better than they are with release just 2-odd months away. And that’s against the backdrop of them also having access to the significant resources of the F&F franchise owners, Universal Studios.

Despite all of that and the 100 Likes versus the 1000 Dislikes on today’s video at the moment, I still think it’s going to sell by the truckload. Hell, if Codemasters’ legendary SA regional pricing on Steam comes to the party drunk again, it may even find itself dropping in my library at some point…

And despite the just 2 months to the games’ release, I can’t find any digital pre-order info online, other than the Xbox Stores’ landing page for the game:

https://www.xbox.com/en-ZA/games/fast-furious-crossroads

(If I notice Steam and PlayStation Store pages going up, I’ll add them here.)

1 Like

wait what so now its a game

2 Likes

Lol. Yip. And a range of toys, action figures, t-shirts, model cars, soundtracks, etc. etc. etc. :smiley:

1 Like

Goodness not a cash cow at all

2 Likes

Lol looks like this game is aimed at kids.

2 Likes

Sorry, this looks like complete garbage…

3 Likes

yea i dont see my self looking at this again

1 Like

With Horizon Zero Dawn releasing today, another release has been overshadowed.

In case you’re interested (no judgement here - you like it, you get it.)

Steam PC players are not too impressed by it yet :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

In case you needed any more confirmation that this is bad, very, very bad…

I’ve honestly no recollection of ever seeing anything priced at full AAA prices (R850 - Standard, R1250! - Deluxe) with such a low rating on Steam. Ever.

I thought it might just be a really poor console to PC port, but the console based reviews are equally damning. EuroGamer gives it an “Avoid”, while the other reviews on OpenCritic give it 2, 3, 3.5, and 3 (all out of 10).

Hugely underrated for his no-BS approach to game reviews, Worth-A-Buy’s review is an absolute hoot:

“Next mission, drive over here… we’re gonna go see Buzz Aldrin, to see if he wants his feckin’ arse hair shaved” :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like