Favourite On Demand Rental Platform

Which is your favourite platform to rent movies on?

Since I cancelled my DStv subscription, I used to like Google Play Movies. But I have had problems on my Nvidia Shield with the last 3 movies not wanting to play. I successfully “returned” 2 movies but the third was refused. And of course there is no lovong being actualling running things at Google, so you cannot talk to anybody.

I have since started renting on Apple on the PS4, much better performance and I now have a new use for the Playstation.

2 Likes

I haven’t rented a movie in a loooong time. The way transactional VOD services are siloed makes for a frustrating user experience so I end up not bothering.

Netflix, Showmax, and Amazon Prime Video run just about everywhere. If something isn’t available on there, I probably won’t watch it.

1 Like

Im with @SIGSTART on this, altho I never use Showmax.

1 Like

I like to watch a whole host of Christian based movies and battle to find a lot of these on the traditional platforms, therefore I use Google Play Store, though that is where I have been getting my rentals from. I find that the ecosystem of Google is great for me 'cos I can link it to my family through rental or purchase and among all my devices and apps.

I find them fairly affordable too and the rental times fit well into my lifestyle of being time restrictive.

I wasn’t aware the console Apple Movies worked in South Africa, I will check that out, thanks.

I also subscribe to Netflix, Showmax and Amazon Prime Video and then I log into DSTV Now with my parents’ details. If a movie isn’t available on there… then it will eventually. Or I pirate it.

2 Likes

We only have Netflix right now, and their new selection of movies has been pretty good recently. I share an Amazon Prime with a friend (who in turn use my Netflix) but the selection is very limited. And when you use a VPN then the app actually tells me it cannot work with a VPN.

I also use an app called JustWatch that tells me what is new on the various platforms I have subs to. You can localise it for SA which is great too. Also, if you look for a specific movie it will tell you where to to rent / buy it from, or if it is included in a current sub you already have. VERY handy!

6 Likes

Agreed! Have been using the JustWatch website online so find where stuff is available. I use the ZA site for both the services we have subscriptions to, and to check the US networks I don’t have access to to see what’s showing there. That’s how I discovered that Season 4 of The Handmaid’s Tale has started airing - now to decide whether to wait for to get here, or to go hunting for it elsewhere…

The only issue with it is that it doesn’t show DSTV/MNet movies and shows at the moment. Doubly odd because you can see BoxOffice and Showmax on it.

There’s also an iOS version of the app for the Apple eaters:

3 Likes

I find Disney+ to be quite good though. It’s pretty much all we watch now.

3 Likes

Thats the one I forgot! Thanks

1 Like

This has made me consider signing up to Apple TV, it seems to be a lot more affordable than Netflix (I was about to renew my sub).

What are your thoughts on the comparison of the platforms @oltman ?

2 Likes

Personally, Apple TV seems terrible. We had the free year that lasted up to March, but I cancelled before the paid sub kicked in. None of the content appealed to us and it seemed very sparse in comparison to Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime and Showmax.

I personally feel the quality of content on Disney+ is far ahead of the others, especially considering the kind of stuff we watch.

1 Like

As everyone else have commented, we have Netflix, Showmax and using the parental’s DSTV Now logins. Our Android TV device has Google Movies built in, and if there is a movie we REALLY want to watch and can’t find anywhere else, I would rent it from there. So far I’ve had no issues at all with Google Movies as it plays very well with our Android TV device.

1 Like

I actually have some funds in my Google wallet that I forgot about (if they haven’t expired them, if that happens). I had wanted to try renting a movie, but I would have no way to play it on my TV…

I’d have to check out if their DRM works on Linux…

1 Like

Sadly I don’t have access to Disney+, so my options are Netflix, Showmax or Apple TV+ and kinda leaning towards Netflix at this point.

Sorry, should have been clear, I only rented single movies from Apple and do t have Apple TV+ subscription, @Beo

The movies, however, are perfect FHD and looks great!

2 Likes

Personally, I love Netflix. Well worth the money.

4 Likes

I concur! Best by far! Wide variety, especially if you go digging. There are some really obscure movies and classics on there, but their suggestions can be boring at times.

2 Likes

It’s about the same price as a Netflix sub, but you obviously need access to a decent VPN. I bought a 27-month Surfshark sub for around R850 precisely for that reason - a once-off payment giving me more than 2 years of VPN bliss. Having access to all the Disney classics and modern titles, Marvel- and Star Wars EVERYTHING, a whole host of Fox Networks series and movies with NatGeo doccies and docu-series on top of that just feels like insane value.

1 Like

That low-cost, mobile-only Netflix subscription that was mentioned a while ago is now available.

R49/month, one standard definition (520p) stream at any given time, phone or tablet only.

https://www.netflix.com/za/

4 Likes

I wonder how it differentiates upon devices. I mean you get Android TV’s and media boxes.

1 Like