Formula E for Dummies

Most of us that hang out in the MEW Sports Corner are dedicated Formula 1 fans. But, with the arrival of Formula E in Cape Town this weekend, I thought it might be worthwhile putting together a little Formula E primer.

It is a bit funny/weird/odd/strange/sad (delete as applicable) that we haven’t really taken to FE too much. The series is already in its ninth season, and you really don’t have to look too hard to spot the number of Formula 1 connected drivers: Vandoorne (the current Champion), Vergne, di Grassi, Felix da Costa, Wehrlein, Buemi are some of the names F1 followers will recognize.

The 2022–23 season is the first season for the new Formula E Gen3 car. It’s also a season where there’s guaranteed to be a new Team’s Champion. While Vandoorne did return to defend his crown, the Mercedes-EQ Formula E Team did not. (The Merc-EQ entry and assets were purchased by McLaren who are using Nissan powertrains in their debut FE season.)

Another completely new team entry into the 22-23 season is Maserati. They become the first Italian manufacturer in the series, and the first time that Maserati is competing as a constructor in a major world motorsport series since leaving Formula 1 in the 1950s.

The season comprises 16 rounds, and while it is officially referred to as the “2022–23 ABB FIA Formula E World Championship”, all 16 rounds are being run in 2023. Traditionally, the Formula E season starts towards the end of the year in Saudi Arabia, when it’s cooler. It then runs through the first half of the next year, concluding with a number of ePrix in Europe in the northern hemisphere summer.

There are 11 race venues this year, with 5 cities hosting double header events. The Cape Town ePrix is Round 5.

The base car that all the teams use is the Formula E Gen3, also known as the Spark Gen3, or simply, the Gen3. It is the successor to the SRT05e and is constructed by Spark Racing Technology. It will be used as the base car for all manufacturers and teams from the 2022–23 Formula E World Championship onwards.

Spark Racing Technology build the chassis and supply the front axles, Williams Advanced Engineering supply the batteries, and Hankook supply all-weather tires that incorporate bio-material and sustainable rubber.

The estimated top speed is set at 322 km/h (200 mph). The battery will also be designed to be able to handle “flash-charging” at rates of up to 600 kW (800 hp), allowing pitstop recharging into the championship for the first time.

The Gen3’s wheelbase is 2,970 mm and it weighs 760 kg.

Formula E has some interesting rules and regulations. And the way Qualifying is handled is very (very!) different to Formula 1 (or anything else for that matter!) Here’s a couple of Cliffs Notes summaries:

And finally, a full preview of the Formula E Season 9: All the new cars, new teams, new drivers, new venues, and new rules in one handy 25-minute package:

Like and subscribe if you want to see more Formula E content. :smile: Regardless, I’ll be back with some Cape Town ePrix specific info soon enough.

6 Likes

As a quick teaser for the Cape Town ePrix, it seems the graphic artist that Alfa Romeo F1 used last year is now working with the Nissan FE Team… how cool is this poster?!

8 Likes

Thankfully no seals in that poster otherwise it might have been rated R and possibly looked like a cover for the new JAWS movie.

3 Likes

I seriously would, great post! I’m really looking forward to getting into this over the weekend!

4 Likes

Vander Linde is really struggling with these cars. Kept on outbreaking himself in round one in almost each session.

I have been watching and following Formula E for very long now. It is nice and easily accisible to watch on Youtube as the practice, Qualy and races are streamed live for free.

The cars look so cool this year!

4 Likes

I thought it was just Practice that was on YouTube?

In the Ways To Watch it only says YouTube for Practices Qualifying and the Race on SuperSport or eTV? Does eTV stream to YouTube?

2 Likes

I have watched all the races live for years on youtube.

Watched first round in India Live as well. So unless it changed for some reason for this round which I am not aware of, or DSTV managed to be greedy and change the broadcast rights … Which would not surprise me.

But yeah, have always watched the entire weekend on youtube for all the rounds

3 Likes

Stuur die links asseblief!

1 Like

Ek sien hulle het al die races ook afgehaal, so dit moes recently verander het lyk dit my.
Het dit altyd hier gekyk: ABB Formula E - YouTube

So lyk my sal dit op DSTV maar moet kyk!

2 Likes

Dammit

Dan gaan ek uit mis, no more dstv

2 Likes

00:00 - 01:32 INTRO
01:32 - 07:58 SEASON SO FAR
07:58 - 09:45 KELVIN VAN DER LINDE INTERVIEW
09:45 - 10:38 ROBIN FRIJNS UPDATE
10:38 - 13:25 DAN TICKTUM ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS
13:25 - 16:55 CAPE TOWN DISCOVERED
16:55 - 21:07 SACHA FENESTRAZ AND NORMAN NATO
21:07 SEE YOU FOR FP1!

1 Like

Cape Town e-Prix Free Practice 1 - Live

Sebastian Buemi the first victim of Cape Town’s walls.

2 Likes

Ok I won’t lie, Cape Town makes a beautiful backdrop for Formula E
Something bugging me a bit is how long it took the medical car to reach him - yes I can see he is ok, but even so, it is not acceptable to take almost 2 mins to get to a car.

2 Likes

Cape Town shining bright this afternoon for the fans and viewers.

Stands look solidly full all round. Bunch of non-starters and two retirements by lap 2 already.

Sad for Kelvin.

At least he gets to spend some time in the commentary box.

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate :confused:

2 Likes
3 Likes