[GameClub 13] Batman: Arkham Knight

I have played them… Lots of times. Usually I start at the first one and play my way through to Knight :slight_smile: (hence feeling almost wrong not playing the first games first).

If I remember correctly, Origins wasn’t bad. I’d say it is worth playing even if it might not be as good as the others (really can’t remember). It is because of this “lack of memory” of mine that I’m able to replay games so often and be entertained all over again :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I am officially participating in this it seems :smiley:

The game plays really well and the combat is as satisfying as ever. However I am at one point in the game where I need to move a canister from one side of the room to the other. If I move too slow, it explodes. If I move too fast it explodes. Three tries in and I gave up for the night. I will try again tonight.

At first I did a “default” settings benchmark, and it ran really well. Then I activated the PhysX settings and could seriously not notice any difference. So I paid no notice to it. Then I launch the game again later and obviously it needed to restart the game for the settings to take effect. WOW! The Bat mobile’s smoke alone looks fantastic, and I wonder why more games to not implement these effects, apart from the 30%+ performance hit, of course!

Here are some benchmark shots. Because the game still runs way over 60 FPS I am happy to take the performance hit to get these pretty smokes :smiley:

3 Likes

Woah… That smoke from the Batmobile looks mad, really dense, and is it volumetric as well? (looks to be)

1 Like

Yeah, and it interacts with players and NPCs. So when you run through the smoke you push it out of the way.

1 Like

Does anybody know how much more difficult it is playing on Knightmare (I usually play on Normal)? I started a NewGame+ and it locks in the difficulty level.

1 Like

I’m about 21% through the main story on Knightmare difficulty. So far, so good. Unfortunately they don’t give the hints to counter which makes it hard if somone off-screen is about to attack.

I think for this playthrough I’m going to try something that I’ve never done before… complete all the riddler things so I can get full completion. Luckily it seems that I don’t need to redo riddles from my previous playthrough as they mostly seem to be “still completed”.

5 Likes

This thread is surprisingly silent. Am I the only one still playing this?

3 Likes

Sadly not. Borderlands 3 is taking up all my little free time.

3 Likes

I renewed my PS+ and started playing it for the second time. I’m not really liking it to be honest. Might be the driving part that’s putting me off…

We’ll see, maybe I’ll give it another shot this weekend.

2 Likes

Still playing, just not a lot :grin:

2 Likes

Pretty much this.

2 Likes

I really liked Arkham Knight. The driving is tedious but the story is good and I can recommend that you guys stick with it.

3 Likes

I absolutely loved Arkham Asylum, Arkham City was really good too. The start of Arkham Knight feels really bloated with new gadgets being introduced every half second. But I’m glad it gets better.

2 Likes

I’m playing it. Trying to stream it while playing isn’t really working.

There are these amazing cinematic beat-down sections which I’m sure are satisfying to watch, but every now and there are encounters with armed guards that slows the pace down. What’s worse is I struggle to talk to the stream while doing those sections because they require so much concentration.

It’s great gameplay-wise to have to decide whether you are going to swoop in, bash a guy’s skull in, then chuck a smoke bomb and batclaw out, or whether you’re going to crawl through the vents and surprise them, or maybe work the disruptor gun into your strategy. I’m just not sure it’s fun to watch :stuck_out_tongue:

Last night I ran into a frustrating situation where I had to take down 6 armed guards and 2 turrets and ended up dying because “sabotaged” guns aren’t indicated well in the HUD. When I respawned I wasn’t anywhere near the quest objective and my map marker was gone, so I had to flap about looking for the warehouse again. This was for the main quest!

Have to agree with @Solitude: The story has gripped me, which is why I’m carrying on. I loved the nod to “The Killing Joke” and Oracle’s origin story. The tank battles are probably the weakest part of the game, but I have enjoyed the Batmobile puzzle-solving.

2 Likes

For some reason I seemed to not see the Gameclub threads on my main page, so I kinda forgot about it until the start of this week, when I saw there are 3…started playing plague tale already, will need to download this one and replay (maybe go for 100% this time, but the challenges are sooooo tedious. fight in all X arenas with character Y. fight in all X arenas with character Z…zzzzz)

Anyway, will def be joining all the games, provided my mates still keen to steam share his long dark with me :smiley:

3 Likes

All I can say is, “Nature Always Wins” :wink:

2 Likes

Ugh… I broke my game :frowning:. Managed to recover a save from last weekend so all my progress for this weekend is lost.

In an attempt to get all the riddler trophies so I can get the good ending, I went back to the Stagg ship to get those, and the game decided to continue further than I am. It basically forced me into the next phase, assuming that the cloud burst has already been activated (even though it wasn’t) so nothing was working properly anymore and I was even getting some CTDs.

I’ll try again next weekend.

4 Likes

I’m planning to start on the 30th

1 Like

Oh! There are multiple endings? Now I’m tempted to search to find out how to make sure you get the good one, but I’m afraid of spoilers.

I’ve already played to the part in the main story where Oracle dies (spoiler for the conclusion of the first part of the story, just after the first phase of the Stagg airships).

That was a gut punch! Can you prevent it from happening?

1 Like

Yes, but not due to any decisions that you make. Basically you get the “bad” ending by default and the “good” ending if you complete everything 100% (including the freakin riddler challenges… and they are tedious).

Just be careful though, if you complete everything 100% except for riddler before finishing the main story and you decide that you don’t want to finish all riddler’s challenges, then you get no ending at all (happened to me last time). The ending shows as soon as you put a Most Wanted criminal away after you’ve completed the main story, but if there is nobody left besides riddler, you’re stuck without an ending.

3 Likes