[GameClub 15] The Long Dark

You haven’t found food? I wonder if it’s randomised. I’ve got so much food that I can’t carry anymore.

2 Likes

I havent even managed to climb the cliff where the plane crashes

1 Like

Ah okay. What you can do is directly after the crash, get some stuff together and then make a camp in the cave. Then sleep there and continue the next morning.

1 Like

That is what I do, but weirdly I can never find food, at most I found soda. . . .

Water, newspapers, sticks and crates./

2 Likes

Wow that’s messed up. I can’t remember ever having a problem with food.

@DieGrootHammer can you remember that first bit?

2 Likes

Once I am done with work I will take a look at some vids and see

2 Likes

Yeah you’re not gonna find food until you get the stones to kill rabbits. You’ll then have some food. Most of it can be found once your in the town.

4 Likes

Oh please do, and let me know your thoughts. It’s the mode the game started out with back in early access and has been my primary go to ever since. To me it really captures the true essence of survival in the wilderness. It’s tough, but with each death you learn something and improve going forward, thus slowly surviving longer and longer. You get to learn the landscapes and how to navigate them by landmarks. What to prioritise for survival. It really is an awesome experience.

4 Likes

Ok I was being a blind bat, I found the log to walk over finally and climbed up. I still cannot kill a rabbit - not sure how the aim system works, the sound of wolves are freaking me out.

I got to the town and have started to help Grandmother. Now to figure out the rest.

3 Likes

Haha @Wyvern I couldn’t kill a rabbit either. I managed to hit one with a rock but when I got there it got up and ran away again.

You’ll get tons of food and supplies in the town though.

3 Likes

The rosehip tea has saved my arse. So yea I have found a fair bit of food. I wont lie, I am using a trainer with the game, but I only activate the weight limit increase as well as items allowed carried.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a good thing you didn’t, the animation for killing one is quite inhumane as… you pick it up and snap it’s neck, if my memory serves right.

3 Likes

Yea I watched videos - its why I wont kill it.

Im just petrified of the wolves currently, and I need more torches to keep them at bay

2 Likes

Finished the first part/chapter

4 Likes

I got to the first town

I wont lie I am over the game, I don’t see myself completing it. I might start over in just survival mode, the story is what kills it for me, I mean the hour spent talking to grandmother or whatever her name is, drove me nuts. If they gave me the option of subtitles that I can read and skip the convo it would have been fine.

2 Likes

The game gets better the further you get. I think I’m pretty close to finishing chapter 2. Some things happened that were very annoying but it does become a little more stressful which is nice. It felt like I accomplished something after I survived a huge storm and covered a large area.

For some reason wolves always run away from me. I don’t even have to worry about them at all anymore. I honestly don’t know why.

4 Likes

I stopped playing and uninstalled the game. First, I had a bug that caused me to redo a big part which was very annoying. Then there’s this stealth section that was just pure frustration.

Not my cup of tea.

Really expected more from the game.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that, @Solitude. Luckily there are many other options this GameClub :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Very unfortunate indeed. I feel bad that you’ve had such a poor experience. I also would have suggested you try the survival (sandbox) experience but I can see how this would have tainted your experience with it.

I’m sorry.

3 Likes

Hey, no need to be sorry.

I always wanted to try it. It’s just not for me.

3 Likes