[GameClub] Game 8 Nominations

What do you mean by that? I happen to think the remastered AoM is a great game… It’s the one I’d play if it wins the poll!

I mean that the remastered version is the exact same game except it doesn’t crash at higher resolutions. I can’t say it looks any different to 10 years ago. Other than that, it is virtually the exact same game as 10 years ago, so the dev’s really just applied compatibility features.
I still think it’s a great deal of fun and enjoy playing it occasionally (you can see I did vote for it), but nothing was “remastered” outside of compatibility.

umm…why isnt DS2 winning?

Also, black mesa was highly voted for, where are you folk that voted for it! Gimme a reason to finish my achievements for it (take the hat all the way to teleporter)

1 Like

They actually did update the graphics a bit… Mostly lighting and water effects updates. This link shows some of the changes: https://imgur.com/gallery/L8WEE

Remember that it’s just an “Enhanced Edition” and not a full remaster / redo of the original game. So for what it is, I believe it’s done quite well.

1 Like

I don’t own Black Mesa. Is the hat achievement similar to Little Rocket Man from Half Life 2 Episode 2? I did that on XBOX 360 back in the day… Made for some memorable gaming!

Basically yea. Except I’m pretty sure the gnome in HL2:E2 wasn’t hidden away. this ones actually hidden away in the first warehouse area you encounter the stealth ops chicks. but yea, grab the object and carry to end of game.

The gnome was “kind of” hidden. It was below a table in a shed at the beginning of the game, if I remember correctly.

fair enough

nice side by side comparison! I know the changes that were made, it is explicitly listed on the steam store page, but in all honesty, it looks like the exact same graphics scaled to higher resolutions and saturated. The amount of newness is at an absolute minimum. It actually looks worse, like someone is playing with the same graphics but set their screen brightness all the way down.
You’re right, it isn’t a “remastered” edition, but an “extended” edition- which essentially sums up the tiny amount of changes made.

I stated that AoM isn’t getting as many votes just like it didn’t get many changes. You’re arguing that with you believing it is a good game, but that’s besides the point, especially since I said the same thing

1 Like

@Solitude is the voting going to be recounted at a later date?

Don’t they still have to finish the last part of it? The Xen levels. I’d rather wait for the game to be complete.

1 Like

Voting closes in 4 days. You’ll see the poll in the first post. So people can change their votes as much as they want until the poll closes.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you look closely, you’ll see it’s not only the saturation of the lighting that’s changed - global illumination was added to cast accurate shadows for units, buildings and vegetation. If you look at the changes made to water in the game, it’s also a day-and-night difference. I don’t think the developers had the budget to create higher fidelity models or textures for the game, but rather focused their efforts on improving the engine with the post processing effects that modern graphics libraries afford them.

So, with it looking “worse”, I’d say it’s a case of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. I’d personally rather play the Extended Edition than the original, primarily due to the little niceties added to the graphics, including support for modern resolutions.

I get your enthusiasm for the game and wishing that they’d do a “proper” remaster of the game with new textures, models and some quality of life improvements, but they’d need a drastically bigger budget and support from the IP owners to do it properly. Microsoft is focusing their attention on the much needed Age of Empires IV currently, with Relic Entertainment at the reigns. With a portfolio of RTS games like Homeworld, Dawn of War and Company of Heroes behind them, I’m sure we’ll get a great new AoE game when it launches, hopefully this year still!

this is way off of topic now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Being off-topic is the livelihood of any online community… It keeps discussions flowing and sparks conversation. Besides, the mods can just split the posts out to a new topic and it will be as if nothing ever happened in this specific thread.

1 Like

Personally I’m not worried about things going off topic. I mean in this case you are discussing games that are part of the poll so it makes sense.

I’m pro discussion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me 2, I actually think its a good “off topic” since it is technically still on topic

1 Like

Wonderful! :blush:
I’m sick as a dog today, I’ll try respond by Thursday

2 Likes

Currently 3 games are tied at the top!

1 Like