GameClub: Intermission 2 to 5 — Hacking games and demos

This is GameClub: Intermission , where we play some short games together and talk about them.

Thank you to everyone who participated in our inaugural GameClub: Intermission event. If everyone enjoyed playing the first Lone Wolf adventure “together”, then we can certainly return to the series in future and play the next book.

If you have suggestions for games we should play during GameClub: Intermission, please drop your suggestions in the What should we play? (GameClub: Intermission suggestions) topic. I will take a look at the suggestions, and try to include them in a future event.

However, for the next two weeks I would like to share with you one my guilty pleasures: hacking games. I’ve become a bit of a hacking game aficionado over the years (if I do say so myself), and I thought it would be fun to have a GameClub where there are several games folks can play. That way, if you don’t like one of the games, there are others you can try.

But first:

What is GameClub?

GameClub is like a book club for games. We get together and play a game (and now: several games) over a specific period. From the start to the finish. Sometimes there are awards that gets displayed on your profile.

Timeframe

You will have from today until 13 October (2019) to finish these games and demos. You will receive credit for each one completed.

The games

Without further adieu, here are my picks for GameClub: Intermission.

Digital: A Love Storyhttps://scoutshonour.com/digital/

Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. I’ve tested it on Windows 10 and it works. I remember that I had to do some jiggling with the game engine to get the game to work on Linux.

Digital is a game developed by Christine Love, of Love Conquers All Games. It is built on a interactive fiction / visual novel engine called Ren.Py, and it completely subverted my expectations of not only what such an engine could do, but what interactive fiction could be.

You might be put off by the term “interactive fiction” or “digital novel” or whatever they’re called. Don’t be. This is an excellent hacker-themed mystery.

IO Interloper (only demo available)

A fantastic idea for a hacking game. This game is still in development and this is a pre-alpha demo.

Mainlining (demo)

I first discovered Mainlining when it was in an alpha state on Itch. It has since launched on Steam and the Nintendo Switch.

You don’t have to buy the game to participate in this Intermission. Simply finish the demo, which is available on Steam, or Itch.io.

Sadly there is no demo available on the Switch.

Code 7 (demo)

As with Mainlining, I discovered Code 7 when only its free episode was available. Every so often I go back and see if a new episode is available.

Once again, you do not have to buy the game for this Intermission. Simple play the free Episode 0, which is available for PC everywhere (Steam, Humble, Itch… everywhere except GOG.com. it seems).

A message from the curator

The idea here is to give a diverse set of games to enjoy for the duration of this two-week challenge. Please let me know what you think of this idea, and please post as you progress through these games.

4 Likes

Great idea! I’ve played Digital: A Love Story before and really enjoyed it. I never used the BBS system so it was quite interesting learning how that all worked. The story line was good too (won’t say more than that so as not to spoil).

2 Likes

I got stuck in Digital yesterday. Also I’m going to have to write those numbers down.

3 Likes

There is a place in the game where you can download a Notepad app, but I remember having to write down numbers as well.

1 Like

I also started Digital yesterday - since its all I can play without internet

1 Like

Also had an attempt at Digital.

Spoilage below (maybe)

Got to a point where I kept going back to the AI BBS. After the third time and third warning from them, my OS was trashed by the SysOp. Do I need to restart, or is there a way later to restore or fix my system.

1 Like

There is a way.

You have to download a “backup image” of your OS from one of the other BBSes (I don’t remember exactly which one). The instructions are to “reboot” after downloading it. Not sure if it’s a bug, but what worked for me was to save, “shut down” my Amie Workbench, and load the savegame.

1 Like

I thought I was blind.

1 Like

You mention hacking games, but I don’t see Uplink.

wheres the “disappointed” button

2 Likes

Resistance is futile.
You will be assimilated.
Come over to the Dark Side!

Uplink is for a full GameClub, I reckon. That game will take far too long to finish for an Intermission.

2 Likes

Guess how bad my connection was last night - I couldnt even download digital

1 Like

I was just catching up on offbeat and its fixed now though. Right?

1 Like

Yea I hope so, I will test it out tonight properly

I did manage to download ghostpoint and steep

1 Like

I’ve made a little progress. Got some c0dez now.

1 Like

I’ve finished Digital and will be moving onto the next one soon. I think I’m going to play Mainlining next.

Playing Digital through for a second time… I had forgotten almost everything except the main plot points. It was really fun getting to play through it again.

I finished Digital: A love story.

4 Likes