Games get blamed for U.S. gun violence problem (again)

The more I stared at this blank page, the less I wanted to write this article. I hate my headline. I hate the way the issue has been politicised. But more than both those things, I hate that it was, once again, a somewhat successful distraction.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/games-get-blamed-for-us-gun-violence-problem-again/

Once again after a tragic school shooting occurs in the US, the topic of violence in video games rears its head.

Here is the brief montage shown at the Whitehouse meeting on video game violence:

I can imagine non-gamers being shocked and repulsed by the violence displayed in this video - whereas as a gamer I’m sure you’re sitting there figuring out which game each scene comes from. This in itself certainly reveals an aspect of video game violence - the more you are exposed to it the more desensitized you become to it.

For me the key difference is that I know it’s not real - no real person is getting hurt. Violence in games can often be overdone or comical even and therefore very unrealistic. Violence in real life is a very different story. In no possible way would a violent game ever cause me to be violent in real life.

That said, there are some games that make me uncomfortable with their depiction of violence. I won’t play a game like Dead by Daylight or Friday 13th. The thought of torturing and brutalising innocent people in such a visceral way does not appeal to me at all, it in fact repulses me. I know that the people aren’t real - but they move and act and plead in a very real way. I can’t deny that this authenticity would have some affect on me.

My last comment is that I do feel that violence in games can have a detrimental effect on children. There is a reason for an age limit - on games and movies. Sure, young teenage boys have a thirst for violence - probably as a way of trying to prove their manhood. But preteens and children can be very negatively affected by violent media. I am all in favour of age limits.

4 Likes

I find that ever since I have been gaming I have been a gamer that play game with not a ton of violence like dead by daylight. I do think that yes we get use to violence in games but I would not be able to handle it outside of the fantasy world.

I can understand how young people can not see the difference since well think of the games we had back then vs the games we have now. We even have VR now making it even more realistic.

If you’re going to start looking at mediums, I say fine. But be consistent. Ban all books/movies/series then that ALSO have violence in them…see how far you get. Hollywood won’t allow it.

Only reason they’re going after video games is because its the “easy” target of an art form. people don’t take it seriously because its “for kids” even though almost all the games shown their have mature ratings

This ^

The amount of children playing 18+ games speaks for itself as if expecting an Xbox, PS or a PC to substitute as parenting. Plonk little Johnny in front of the TV and write your Tumblr blog/drink a martini/whatever.

I’ve never been phased by violence (although never been a fan of sickening gore either), but gaming violence, as stated above, is sometimes so ludicrous it’s hard to take seriously. More often than not, the level of violence in games is pretty much on point with movies and series.

You’re assuming gun control will quell gun violence. Spoiler alert: it won’t

violence is fine in games, its great for story, action and blowing off steam.

There are age restrictions for a reason, obviously it’s not for children or those sensitive to depictions of violence.

Personally I don’t enjoy games that have human vs human violence but I loooooove human vs alien or monster violence!

A perspective on this whole thing from acclaimed game developer Warren Spector.

Warren Spector says the White House violent videogame reel is ‘simply disgusting’

I’m very squeamish in real life. Never used to be until my foot got crushed by a concrete pillar. Even in movies I don’t like the real horrific violence.

Games are a different story though. I don’t mind violence at all. It doesn’t feel real.

1 Like