Games with great character creators

Watched a video yesterday about the Character Creator tool in Elden Ring that looks at all of the options avaialbe.

(This one…)

Got me to thinking about why we (“we” as in “gamers”) so often spend ages creating an avatar to use in a game that we will seldomly even see. In addition to many games being played from the perspective of our characters, there’s also the fact that in many of the games we cover our characters’ faces in masks, helmets and armour anyway (Elden Ring for example). So why bother?

So that’s the first part of this topic - why do we bother? Why do we spend ages of our already limited gaming time to create the perfect avatar or toon before we even start to play the actual game? Why not just hit that Randomise button and be done with it?

Secondly, let’s compile a list of games that have great character creators. Which are the games that stand out in your mind when you think about creating an in-game character?

And then why not share a screenshot or two of your fine faces in all their in-game portrait glory?

2 Likes

Character creators have always been valuable in sports games. You can create your likeness and live out your sporting dreams - usually without obfuscating the hours spent in recreating your features behind a mask or helmet. I have a love for golfing games and always try and recreate my virtual self as closely as possible.

For RPGs I generally go with a Nordic alter ego, so pretty much blonde, bearded, braided haired viking. With a couple of tats. Even if it’s a futuristic RPG, I go the same style. No wonder my handle is Nordic…

1 Like

Yip, the Fifa games have always provided me with a way to design my perfect alter ego. A 22 year old, 2m tall CAM with a full head of hair, some light stubble and a knack for shooting goals out of position. The face looks like a 22 year old me… Nothing else.

I remember an app you could download where you feed in a front and side oicture of yourself, and it will spit out an Elder Scrolls IV model of your head with eerily accurate features. I played the whole game as myself!

1 Like

Because nothing ruins a cut scene like my character being incredibly ugly, I know I totally screwed up the last dragon’s dogma cinematic because I accidentally made the face of my peon fat in comparison to the rest of her body, almost made me just restart XD

I personally like the customization’s of games like “Tera” and “Black Desert Online” basically Asian MMO’s are for me, I would have to reinstall the game to show pics of my chars though.

1 Like

Lol. :laughing:

1 Like

Why do I spend so much time in character creation?

Well, it is because I am about to embark on a great gaming session, one that will last many hours. I therefore will be staring at the character for a prolonged period of time. And for that reason, I want my character to invoke an emotional response when I look at him or her. Be it amusement, happiness, arousal, joy, anger, doesn’t matter. They reflect the mood and identity I emotionally have to anchor myself into the game world.

Best game character creators?

The Sims 4
Fallout 4
Skyrim
Dark Souls games
Cyberpunk 2077
Forza Horizon 5 (your car is your character, and it’s an impressive character creator)

2 Likes

Didn’t Guildwars 2 have really good character customisation?

1 Like

Never played it myself, but yes, it does appear on a number of the “Best Character Customiser” lists I’ve seen.

Here’s a quick overview of the system with the games’ Lead Character Artist:

1 Like