Gaming Subscriptions

Do you subscribe to any gaming related services? And what are your thoughts about them?

I’m subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate and to Humble Bundle Choice. But I pause the Humble Bundle Choice one quite often and I think when my year’s subsciption is over I’ll stop my subscription.

I know quite a few people feel that they need to own their games but I prefer the subscription model by far. I play a game, finish it and then don’t touch it again. And that makes Game Pass absolutely amazing. I constantly have something to play and with Ultimate I have Game Pass on PC and XBox.

3 Likes

I’ve been a big fan and supporter of Game Pass since it started - best thing to happen in gaming for ages. It’s honestly the only game-related subscription I want.

I’ve never been one to get attached to physical media and am not too phased by not owning much of my digital media outright. Like you, there’s very few games that I’ll go back to so often that I’d need a physical copy or a DRM-free copy stored somewhere. I feel the same way about movies and music too. I’ll hunt down and buy physical DVDs or BluRays for things like the Star Wars movies, and box set CDs or vinyls for music that is particularly significant to me. Everything else is consumed on subscriptions of some sort.

So, in addition to Game Pass, I currently still have a couple of months on my Humble Monthly/Choice sub (like you though, I’ll probably not renew it), 9 months on the EA/Origin Play subscription that I forgot to cancel, and a monthly Prime Video sub that includes access to some Prime Gaming games.

2 Likes

For someone who is cash strapped it is easier to spend the R150 on Gamepass than buying new games all the time. I can afford the R150 - not the R700 - or higher. Also the risk of not liking a game and feeling regret is gone - cos you just uninstall and move on.

Currently only this sub running, since ea and the rest are slowly joining gamepass. I just need Ubisoft on there now as well.
And outriders need to join in on pc

4 Likes

Only Humble Choice, but I pause that. No point in getting games if I can’t play them.

4 Likes

Gamepass Ultimate is the only one I use. I’ve used Ubisoft+ in the past as well but it’s too expensive to stay subbed.

4 Likes

I’ve been subscribed to Game Pass Ultimate for a good few months now. Firstly it satisfies the lightie’s gaming needs with Minecraft and Forza. It’s also great that you can find a nice coop game and install it for some family fun at a whim. I’ve played through some great games with it on PC. I really enjoy the shorter experiences since I love novelty and discovery. Now that it has EA play included there’s plenty to play - more than enough. The only downside is that games do go out of circulation, which means that game you’ve been meaning to get around to can disappear before you do get to it.

4 Likes

I use them off-and-on.

Currently my Game Pass for PC and Humble Bundle Choice are cancelled. I don’t like the way Microsoft locks you out of your own filesystem with Game Pass, so I only like to use it for games that I know I’m only going to play once and then uninstall.

I used the EA/Origin subscription service to essentially get a cheap demo of Anthem, played it for a few weeks and cancelled.

I’ve kept my PlayStation Plus subscription around for years, but I’m considering letting it expire since I don’t do a lot of PlayStation gaming anymore.

3 Likes

Only using gamepass ultimate.

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m a little out of the loop here, what do you mean by this? What is MS doing here?

3 Likes

I guess he’s referring to the whole locked down “WindowsApps” folder that UWP apps use. You can’t actually access the files of the games, presumably to mod them. There are workarounds to make your account the owner of the folder, but it’s well documented that it’s a bad idea, as it can (and most probably will) have negative effects down the line which will force a reinstall of Windows.

5 Likes

Send it to me ^ _ ^

Currently I only budget for the use of one, which is Game Pass. I just find the value that it offers over a mix bag of PS+ in the hopes of getting something good every month. Not to mention the fact that you get to play online and with buddies with Game Pass Ultimate, though I am very much a solo player.

4 Likes

Hehe I’m sitll holding out hope to play Ghost of Tsushima one day, and Ani would still like to play the 2018 God of War. If we give up on those dreams I’ll let you know :smile:.

2 Likes

Yea it has been fun, Ive had to format most of my HDD and SSD’s and I now have one dedicated to windows games only. The best part is I have uninstalled about 3/4 games and they are still showing up on the installed app list …

2 Likes

Thanks @FarligOpptreden and @Wyvern, I appreciate the insight!

2 Likes

Honestly that was the biggest issue.

1 Like

Sorry for reviving an old topic, any chance anyone subscribes to Apple Arcade?

Just curious as those games seem to be a lot more curated and more suitable to children, compared to other services.

(Not mine - post from someone else. I have EA Play included with GP Ultimate)

Big jump in pricing for EA Play. Admittedly R300 per year was quite cheap and it’s been the same for 10 years!

2 Likes