Ghost / MEW front page going offline for an hour

Evening folks.

I’ve been looking into upgrading our Ghost frontend today and, unfortunately, it’s not going to be an easy one.

Long story short… the only way I’ve been able to figure out to perform the upgrade is to install Ghost from scratch and import all the settings, posts, and images over.

Ghost will be down for a few minutes while I wire everything up.

You will need to reset your password via email, but you can re-use your old password. The system just can’t import existing passwords usably.

Please let me know if anything breaks for you. I’ll keep the backup of the old site for a few weeks.

7 Likes

Seemed to work around midnight last night when I had a quick look, but getting no response from the site this morning.

4 Likes

I’m struggling to even SSH in. Something is eating a lot of resources on the instance. I’ll see if I can reboot it.

It seems to be running again now. Running a ping and it still dropped 5 packets after coming back online for some reason.

I’ll keep an eye. Maybe Ghost 5 or MySQL 8 are just heavier than the previous versions.

3 Likes

We appreciate the effort !

2 Likes

Doing much better after the reboot!

4 Likes

Please remember to make sure you can reset your passwords!

1 Like

So far it hasnt asked me to log in yet

1 Like

That’s super weird. Can you access Ghost and you haven’t needed to log in from scratch?

1 Like

same here, I just opened up the website as normal today, did not ask for login. Did not even notice anything changing XD

1 Like

I had to reset my password, but perhaps that’s due to not remembering it in the first place.

1 Like

Tried signing in with the details I used on Saturday, got this message:

Got the reset password email almost immediately, reset password using the same password as before, and am in. It’s definitely changed the backend screen for me - never seen a Dashboard before.

Now to find the Dark Mode switch…

2 Likes

Also just did a password reset.

All looking good so far.

Thanks @SIGSTART

3 Likes

Did the password reset and all is good

2 Likes

Just got a notification that memory utilisation on the Ghost box is running high.

It does seem as though the new stuff is a bit heavier. If it falls over against I’ll consider upgrading the instance.

1 Like

Front page seems to be broken sadly

1 Like

Why is snapd, mysqld, and kswap chowing so many resources?! :’(

1 Like

OK it looks like flipping Ubuntu is regularly running unattended upgrades every so often.

Which is great for security, but bad for trying to manage the resources on a smaller VPS.

Open to advice / suggestions from folks in the field.

1 Like

Tried to reset password, no email received.

2 Likes

Please try again. The poor server was dying earlier.

1 Like

Still nothing. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes