Ghost of Tsushima

Is anyone else here playing this absolute masterpiece? I’ve always been a fan of Suckerpunch, and I was always going to get the game eventually, but the initial trailers and gameplay footage didn’t get me too excited for this at first. Fast forward to week of release and the reviews started coming in and everybody praised the game so the FOMO started kicking in. I spoke to my game sharing buddy and we decided to go for it. Am I glad we did that.

I am really enjoying this game. The combat looked off in the trailers but once the game is in your hands it feels SO good. The camera (and lack of lock on) can be a bit of an issue at times but it’s not that big of a deal. The Japanese voice over has some issues with lyp syncing but the performances are all very good.
The visuals are what’s really worth writing home about. It is absolutely gorgeous. The use of colour is just breathtaking, sunsets and sunrises look amazing. The leaves all over the ground that move about when you walk, the wind blowing the grass everywhere, leaves that fall everywhere, the moonlight shining through the bamboo, etc. It’s just simply amazing what SP have managed to do with this game’s art direction. I can only imagine what this looks like on a PS4 PRO on a big 4K TV.

It is also a technical marvel. Fast travel in this game is actually fast. I timed it and it clocked in at under 7 seconds to load to a new area on the map. They literally increased the loading times because it was too fast.

Overall this game is great and it deserves all the praise it is getting from the media as well as players. Sucker Punch have outdone themselves. It plays a lot like a (recent) Ubisoft AC game, but only it’s really good and not ruined by trying to make it too RPG like (dialogue choices, enemy levels, etc) and monetised to hell.

Check out the Jimpressions if you are so inclined:

4 Likes

Some screenshots (sent over whatsapp which might have affected quality, not sure)

5 Likes

Yup, can confirm. This game is amazing! absolutely loving the art style and use of colour. the only real gripe i have is the lack of a lock on, but I guess that is just due to my Soulsborne habits

@Wlad :
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-21-ghost-of-tsushima-interview

3 Likes

Unfortunately the game is an exclusive. So will never play it.

2 Likes

I am sorely tempted to get this game. I have an interest in Japanese swordsmanship, so just the premise and setting of the game make it interesting.

Actually been looking forward to Ghost of Tsushima since Suckerpunch’s gameplay trailer in 2018.

There’s a moment in the trailer where two samurai square off against each other under the falling leaves of a maple tree:

I don’t know if they did it with full intent to make use of the symbolism—or if they were just trying to be true to the setting and the symbolism happened naturally—but for someone steeped in Japanese martial traditions and the various bushidō teachings this is extremely significant.

This blog post touches on it: Momiji - Autumn Leaves and their symbolism.

In one of the styles that I was taught, the “red leaves cut” or “red leaves strike” (Momiji Uchi) refers to an upwards cut from a crouched position. From the perspective of the swordsman landing the blow, the blood from the opponent scatters and falls like the red autumn leaves of the maple tree.

5 Likes

If you own a PS4 this game is a must buy simple as that. And if you are interested in the subject matter or the style of game then you are in for a big treat.

3 Likes

or wait until it gets ported to PC and enjoy fully in its intended Glory :grin:

I Gotta agree its an amazing looking title, considering what they’re able to squeeze out of those slow ass jaguar cores. it looks like a next gen ish current gen title,

4 Likes

Isn’t this always the case at the end of a generation? The devs (and console makers themselves) learn new tricks for making better-looking and better performing games every year, so some of the best games of a generation are released towards the end of that generation.

5 Likes

indeed, Both TLOU and MGS phantom Pain (mgs had a crappy framerate though) looked amazing on the ps3 as well has Halo 4 on the 360

4 Likes

Found these rather interesting, since we’re on the topic of realism and fact checking…

and

1 Like

what is the TLDW; ? Game is realistic or not ?

1 Like

Haven’t played the game, I dunno.

1 Like

yes but did you watch the videos you posted? What is their take ?

1 Like

For the most part they seem surprised at how true to form it. Obviously there’s some liberties for the purpose or keeping within the game and enjoyment factors. I found it rather interesting from a design perspective, give ’em a look.

I can’t completely speak into it as I don’t have it but seems valid, on both sides.

1 Like

The tl;dw is that the game’s swordplay does as well as you can do with a game.

As a very beginner swordsman, that was my take as well. I can nitpick some of the stances (kamae) and blocks (ukenagashi) , but in the end the player model will be limited by what the engine can animate.

The “stand off” fights where you kill enemies with a single cut are a top notch nod to battō-do, battōjutsu, and iaijutsu.

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do Kendo, but that’s a discussion for another thread :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I hadn’t really thought of Ghost to be a build style game, but here we are…

and

1 Like

Technically you can have builds but I think it’s a bit of a reach since there are no stats that affect anything really.

I mean you can have (the same kind of) builds in any game with different skills e.g Spider-Man, inFamous Second Sun, Far Cry 5, Horizon etc

1 Like

So I recently finished this games main campaign, and currently focusing on all the tales and stuff needed to get Platinum trophy.

But man, oh man. What an amazing experience from the story and characters. I don’t think I have been this impacted by the story of a game since I finished The Last of Us, it really made me feel so conflicted. Bravo to Sucker Punch, what a masterpiece!

3 Likes