GIMP now available in the Microsoft Store

GIMP, the totally free Adobe Photoshop alternate, is now available in the Microsoft Store as an installable application for Windows PC.

GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, macOS, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.

Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist, GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization options and 3rd party plugins.

3 Likes

Honestly Gimp is a terrible alternative to Photoshop. I always use Photopea if I need to do any photoshopping without Photoshop.

3 Likes

Thanks for that link :grinning: Had no idea Photopea even existed.

Had a quick glance last night and will definitely be playing with it a little more soon. Firing up PS, or GIMP for that matter, to knock a quick logo over an image together is a pain.

Is it online only?

1 Like

Yeah, though I have had GIMP installed for many years, I seldom if ever use it as a go-to. Instead, I’ve stuck with existing design tools like Sketch or Figma. For Photoshop like workflows and editing I have always opted for Krita or Inkscape.

and

3 Likes

Without resorting to monthly Adobe subs, you can always opt for Serif’s Affinity range of products. I know many creative professionals who’ve moved over and the transition was very smooth. The products don’t break the bank either and it’s a good old buy-and-use-forever deal.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always been keen to check out their tools just never bothered with the price to entry, granted, as you say, more affordable than buying into the whole Adobe ecosystem. Weren’t their products also available on Steam at some point?

1 Like

So what would be the benefit of using the Microsoft store vs downloading from the website?

2 Likes

I’ve used GIMP casually since the early 2000s and it’s always done be good. Having never used Photoshop (or anything else) extensively, I find it to be perfectly fine for basic image manipulation for work and home.

Hopefully it gets noticed more now that it’s on the MS Store, I’m not sure what else it will do for them.

3 Likes

I suppose it’s just more “easily accessible” through their IP and ecosystem. Perhaps MS is moving towards the Apple model in having their curated app store? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Some suggestion in the official blog post that part of the reason is because some people were possibly taking advantage of there not being an official release on the MS Store:

While others distributing GIMP is not necessary a problem (we even have a page explaining why selling GIMP is not illegal), we have no way to know what is actually in a third-party package, hence we cannot vouch for them.

…Anyway we saw enough problematic cases that we are happy to announce GIMP being now officially distributed on the Microsoft Store so that everyone can get GIMP from its source.

1 Like

My suggestion would be to wait for a Humble Bundle and get something like Corel PhotoShop with a bunch of other goodies thrown in for peanuts.

4 Likes

Bahahaha

1 Like

OK, I every time anyone mentions GIMP I think of Pulp Fiction… Bring out the gimp!

3 Likes

lol I think I need to watch that.

2 Likes

PaintShop, sorries.

2 Likes