Godfall --- a lootgrinder for the "next gen"

Godfall is one of the mostly-exclusive launch titles for PlayStation 5 and the initial reviews are not flattering. I called it a “mostly-exclusive” because it is available on PC, but you can currently only buy it through the Epic Games Store. One of those 12 month time-locked Epic exclusives.

The problem with all games-as-a-service releases in the looter/#lootgrinder genre is that they seem to launch in some kind of broken-but-salvageable state and then spend years trying to become the game they promised before launch.

I also see some commonality between the release of No Man’s Sky and Godfall. Sony throws a bunch of money at a project, puts a strict launch deadline on the studio, and then the game that gets launched doesn’t live up to expectation.

While No Man’s Sky is not strictly a #lootgrinder (more like a #craftgrinder (tag pending)) or a game-as-a-service / microtransaction title, it did years for Hello Games to rebuild No Man’s Sky into what they promised it would be.

Anyway… I didn’t want to launch into a philosophical discussion about lootgrinders or living games / games-as-a-service in a Godfall topic. I just wanted to post some news and reviews :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As I’ve stated elsewhere, I’m not a huge fan of SkillUp’s, but even in a 30 minute tear-down the man does not mince words.

He calls Godfall a “scam” and “robbery”. Yikes!

2 Likes

Agreed, I have lost interest in his videos over time.

I have been following quite a bit and watching/listening to a few viewpoints and opinions on Godfall, but in terms of SkillUp, I feel he just blatantly slanders the game and company. Possibly based on his experiences, being vengeful or maybe just to garner views. Either way, it is a game that has been poorly designed in almost every department.

To me the game looks very generic and bland, lacking inspiration and creativity. Perhaps they were just trying to create a flashy flagship title for the sake of the PS5 release.

2 Likes

Is it just me but I swear this looks just like Warframe

2 Likes

I was gonna say the 1st post image made me go “is that Sacred 3?”

3 Likes

Yeah, the visuals are really poorly designed and everything is just so shiny and the color palette just reduces visual awareness of so many elements. Not to mention the overly dramatased particle effects and bloom effects. Anyway, I’ve watched quite a bit of gameplay only to think this is like a watered down version of so many other inspirations.

2 Likes

When SkillUp was going through the areas where he complained about stuff being too shiny, I also thought: “Hey this looks like the Orokin tileset in Warframe!”

I actually went and looked up the studio behind Godfall to make sure it wasn’t some secret prequel to Warframe from the old Orokin empire days.

I bought this on Gearbox sale and I’ve played just under 3 hours and I have to say I really don’t get the hate. I think the graphics are great. I love the visual style and character designs and the combat is really tight and fun to play. Yeah, it’s repetitve as hell, but that’s the type of game it is. For a mindless action romp there are far worse titles out there. I can only imagine it being even better co-op.

4 Likes

Warframe is almost exactly the same but a lot more feature rich with a massive ton of free content. I think the hate comes from the comparison between the two.

3 Likes

I’ve played over 500 hours of warframe. To me this game is nothing like it. I honestly don’t see or feel it.

I guess you could argue the Valorplates are similar to Warframes in that you equip different ones but the gameplay is way different.

If anything the loot reminds me of Destiny 2 and the combat almost reminds me of God of War.

2 Likes

Interesting to hear your opinion on that!

3 Likes

You can’t even jump in Godfall. Traversal was a big part of how I played Warframe when I was still playing. Always sliding and jumping all over the map. The biggest difference also being the lack of guns in Godfall. No spaceships either and I haven’t run into a single Grineer so far. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah I saw now that the main comparison people seem to make is that the Valorplates in Godfall are like Warframes. I do see the validity of the comparison but the gameplay loop between the two is so different.

3 Likes

This game reminds me more of Outriders than Warframe or anything else to be honest. I’m still enjoying it a lot. At about 7 hours now and I’ve unlocked 3 Valor Plates and a bunch of skills and stuff.

1 Like

Don’t say things like that. Then I also want to play it!

2 Likes

How souls like is it? My reaction time sucks.

1 Like

Yeah, I think that speaks into a few of us around here, myself included. The reason why I hate playing combo and reaction-based themed games like DMC.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s soulslike at all. The combat feels somewhat like the latest God of War game. You’ve got a light and heavy attack as well as some special attacks and a shield which also has special attacks. The different weapon types all play differently enough for my liking. I’ve died a few times but you always respawn very close to where you died and so far the enemies remain exactly as they were, including damage you’ve already done to them.

1 Like

Sounds promising to a sausage fingered reaction time challenged player like myself ;-P. The only way I succeed at shooters/action games is by working hard at abilities/planning/builds to compensate for the lack of real time skills.

1 Like

The only way I generally make it through such games is by using Wemod or other trainers. I’ve even used it in this game for a boss. :stuck_out_tongue: