Google Stadia is launching with 12 games

Google Stadia is launching on 19 November with twelve games. That is if you are lucky enough to live in one of the countries where it will be available and, of course, only if you have paid for the pre-order and premium tier. And even that does not guarantee you will have access, since they are doing a phased launch: first come first served. There may be up to a two week wait for some who pre-ordered.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/google-stadia-is-launching-19-november-with-12-games/

The launch is going to be so interesting.

2 Likes

Well that’s a very sorry launch list. For Stadia to really succeed it needs a crazy lineup, and that will just not do at all.

1 Like

I think to an extent the success or failure of this service will depend on the experience. Yes, there needs to be a good selection of titles, but this will obviously grow over time. But loads of games will all be for naught if there is stuttering or disconnects. This is a streaming service after all, and all of them experience such issues. It will be much worse trying to play a game this way than watching a movie.

3 Likes

The Nintendo WIi launched with 14 titles… And we all know how that ended. The PS2 launched with something like 25 titles, and the PS2 is historic. The games list here is not that bad. The problem is most people in gaming would have played or even owned most of the titles here. So how recent they can keep their list is what will make / or break the one half of the Stadia success.

The other is obviously how playable and enjoyable the experience is. Any news of local servers at any time?

2 Likes

We dont have local servers, its not available AT all in South Africa and it doesnt seem to be getting here fast.

From the google site - https://store.google.com/regionpicker that is literally where they make you go when you go to the stadia site

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll ever get it. Maybe Stadia 2 if we are lucky.

edit

Um though I suppose there won’t ever be a Stadia 2. I guess we may still get it in a couple of years if Google doesn’t drop it.

2 Likes

Yeah, this may end up being one of those short-lived experiments (like the first version of Glass) which generates some initial hype and then gets killed off quietly.

But hey, at least they’re willing to try things. Google have never been scared of taking some risks with services that end up failing. Every so often one succeeds.

4 Likes
1 Like

It has launched!

4 Likes

Two days too late for a “Most Disappointing Event of the Year” nomination it seems.

4 Likes

EGS is still more disappointing

3 Likes

Truth.

Stadia have just announced a few more games added to their launch week line up, and a handful more by year end, so they do have that going for them. Some decent titles there now:

1 Like

And Blizzard’s treatment of blitzchung is still more disappointing than that.

2 Likes

Another far from glowing Stadia review…

TLDR:

But this has been a catastrophe from start to finish during my testing phase, and the problem is that even if it did work flawlessly, which it absolutely doesn’t, the entire model seemed doomed from the start. This is an enormous miss from Google, and I am really wondering what the fallout is going to be from this ill-conceived early launch.

3 Likes

Yeesh. Not pulling punches there.

Yeah, I was also dubious about charging for access to the service and then asking people to buy the games at full retail price, which are locked to a cloud platform that could go up in smoke at any time.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, over on the Project xCloud Preview side of things…

There’s a few games on that list that I’d love to see coming to Game Pass.

2 Likes

Necroed to note its possible end…

Rumor: Google Stadia May Be Getting Shut Down
The rumor mill suggests that Google may be looking to kill off its game streaming platform, Stadia, for good before the end of the year.

Rumor: Google Stadia May Be Getting Shut Down (gamerant.com)

Farewell Stadia. We never knew you.

1 Like

That sums it up perfectly.

3 Likes