GPU advice needed

My understanding on dlss is that its an aa alternative with not as big a performance impact.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also more curious about DLSS impact, when the acronym RTX enabled is thrown around its doesnā€™t mean ray-tracing it means the game supports either DLSS , Raytracing or Both

1 Like

In the end the itch for a new toy was too much so ordered the msi rtx 2080 ti gaming x trio. Should have it friday.

6 Likes

Wow nice @Stefan!

1 Like

Wow. Enjoy it

1 Like

R25k. Hope for your sake that thing is worth the money.

Also might want to take out insurance on that thing :rofl:

Price is relative. Goes about value. If the card gives me top or near top notch performance for 2-3 years it has been worth it.

Till amd or intel offers something to compete with nvidia at the top end we will continue to see this pricing.

From all indications that wonā€™t happen till atleast 2020.

1 Like

Iā€™m all about value, which is why my PC components list typically reads like a ā€œBest X for the moneyā€ summary. The RTX series manages to about twice as much as the previous generation cards without offering anywhere near a comparable jump in performance. Thatā€™s not good value in my opinion. But hey, your dough, your decision.

1 Like

The 2080 is only R500 more than a 1080 ti. And Iā€™m running Battlefield V with ray tracing on. Itā€™s beautiful.

1 Like

What FPS are you getting with ray tracing on and are you playing SP or MP?

1 Like

On my ultrawide (3440x1440) I get on average 40fps in SP on the last story mission. In MP Iā€™ll play with it off. This is on medium DXR with everything else on Ultra.

My CPU is currently a bottleneck. Itā€™s running at 100% with when DXR is enabled.

What CPU do you have, if you donā€™t mind me asking? Mineā€™s pretty old so itā€™s bottlenecking pretty much every game i play :smile:

Iā€™ve got a i5 4690K.

@Stefan I think if I could go back in time I would have taken the 2080 ti. Iā€™m sure I would have gotten 60fps with DXR on the ultrawide then which would have been perfect! I hope you enjoy your card. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ya apparently DXR is quite CPU intensive - also the fact that you have to run in DX12 to enable DXR and DX12 makes the most of multiple cores - so a CPU with higher core count would handle it better.

I think youā€™d be able to crack 60FPS if you upgrade the CPU (and mobo and ramā€¦)

1 Like

FTFY - You seem to enjoy the high end components from what Iā€™ve seen from your posts in the past :smile: Besides, the new RTX Titan makes it look cheap in comparison!

Enjoy the card, it is indeed a monster.

1 Like

Just got home from getting the card installed.
Impressions so far. Love the rainbow rgb. The asus 1080 strix was more subtle compared but I quite like this color scheme.

At idle card is completely silent. Temps at idle is 46 degrees.

Will post some benchmarks a big later once I have had a chance to test a bit .

3 Likes

Havenā€™t managed to test a lot yet as I had to figure out how to get windows 10 to update to 1809, the update wasnā€™t available automatically for me.

But so far with everything set on ultra, including rtx I am getting between 60-70 fps.

This is with a 7700k cpu . Cpu is at stock and so far I have run the 2080ti at stock not in oc mode.

2560 x1440 acer free sync 144hz monitor.

So far I am quite happy. Ray tracing does offer a nice visual improvement and 60+ fps is still more then playable.

1 Like

So im looking at upgrading my current Geforce GTX750. Which card would be best to buy? My hubby thinks a 1070 will be overkill and that a 1060 will be sufficient. Also I like Nvidia cards hence no AMD cards

This is my current rig

these are the cards im looking at:

1060 will be sufficient, but looking at your old card and how long youā€™ve kept it. Iā€™d go for the 1070 for the added future proofing before needing another upgrade.

2 Likes