Guess who's back . . . Winamp!

Winamp is back after a 4-year long update process to make it compatible with Windows. #Winamp

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/guess-whos-back-winamp/
1 Like

This is great, but about 8 years behind?

1 Like

I have a friend who is still a die hard WinAmp user. He was very pleased to hear that it’s back

2 Likes

Retro is the new cool, Oldtman :smiley:

2 Likes

wait…winamp went away?

looks at winamp running on my machine for the last 3 years

interesting

5 Likes

I just want a new mac version, the copy i have worked on high sierra but is not compatible with monterey :pensive:

2 Likes

Exactly, my winamp 2 and winamp 5 copies works fine on win 10

3 Likes

Interesting. I didn’t even know people even still stored MP3 files on their local machines given the demand and availability now for streaming services like YouTube Music, Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

3 Likes

i prefer to own things, we are moving towards a world where you pay for stuff but you dont really own it

2 Likes

You will own nothing, and you will be happy

Or something

2 Likes

For when the internet dies I guess?

1 Like

But it’s a genuine interest and curiosity. A lot of the time these services provide download capabilities, at the very least to mobile devices.

I wouldn’t even know where to download MP3, or whatever supported formats WinAMP supports. Not only that, isn’t it considered then illegal unless you own the rights to those respective files?

Unless of course WinAMP somehow integrates with all these services at an API level and you could have all those services in one application. That would be cool.

1 Like

I still have all of my old MP3s from when winamp was installed on my old PC

3 Likes

I dont listen to new music tbh, cause its crap, i just listen to pre 2010 music most of the time, 90% of the songs i had to convert to mp3 as that was the only format my previous headunit in the car supported

3 Likes

See I have boxes of my CD’s that I never listen too, so I will rip them again

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the input all, truly insightful and interesting, thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Funny thing though, I haven’t listened to the stuff on my PC for ages. Its usually just some playlists on youtube now.

2 Likes