Happy 20th Birthday Steam

Valve launched Steam on September 12, 2003, and we’re super proud and incredibly grateful for what we’ve been able to do in the 20 years since. Steam’s success is a direct result of the players and developers around the world who use it.

We thought it would be fun to look back at the top releases on Steam each year (many of which are on sale as part of this celebration, including all Valve titles!) and added some fun facts for both Steam and pop culture in general (in art or text form, or both). But, like, give us the same leeway you might with an aging grandparent: the dates and facts below are as correct as our collectively aging memories will allow.

Read through the Twenty Year Timeline here:

And be sure to keep an eye out for any missing those “In Library” tags - many of the the yearly Top Games are on sale for the next week.

4 Likes

Let’s see 'em then. I’m a couple of weeks away from 13 years.

(Find yours if it’s not on your profile at https://steamcommunity.com/id/YOURUSERNAME/badges/1)

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes

Young 'uns, all of you.

4 Likes

4 Likes

My account started it’s existence with Half-Life 2 needing it.

5 Likes

Missed it by 4 months :frowning:

6 Likes

Same, I guess I installed Steam the day after with HL2. I remember attending the midnight launch and having school the next day.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Half-Life 2 baby here too…

5 Likes

3 Likes