Have you ever commission Artwork?

So have you ever commission artwork?
I once saw something at geekfest I really like but the artist asked R1400 for a A5 piece of artwork.

1 Like

Nope, I’ve thought about it a few years ago. I wanted an avatar specifically created to match my tag but never got around to contacting the right people.

1 Like

And that is the other thing where do we as south Africans even start our search?
Rage I know has but if your on the other side of the country and you can’t go to Rage where to next?

1 Like

Yes, I think I posted some photos of it as well (on mygaming). Got my cousin to paint a Lego Star Wars canvas for my girlfriend for christmas…

Lets just say even with family discount, it wasn’t cheap (he was in UK too)

6 Likes

Wow that looks beautiful!

1 Like

Never even considered it.

I have asked my youngest brother’s girlfriend to paint me something, but at the rate she is going it will be done in 3 - 5 years.

1 Like

We had a well known artist in the area do us a big ass painting of the berg. main piece in the office

1 Like

I can do commissions for garage kits. Haven’t had any takers yet tho…

It’s such a cool idea for a gift. I may keep this in mind for my wife’s birthday next year.

2 Likes

custom art would and should be pricey.

It took the artist years and years to develop their skill, then the actual piece would take the better part of a week to produce depending on complexity, not to mention them having to buy their own materials.

Also consider, they can only do it in their spare time because 99% of them will still have day jobs as their art alone cannot sustain them.

My uncle and Grandfather are/were artists and I have two artist friends. They practiced every single day.

3 Likes

I’m considering it. I have an idea of what I want; it’s based on a photo of a sculpture I’ve seen online - but it’s a bit bland and boring. So my idea is to have someone recreate it in a more appealing style. I’m just reluctant to go ahead with my plan because I fear not liking the final product. I suppose I’m still searching for the right artist; someone using a style I’d like. You can’t ask any artist - everyone has their own style.

This brings me to tattoos. Isn’t getting a tattoo “commisioning” artwork?

1 Like

What would you guys consider paying for these items? What would it be based on? Size? Complexity?
What kind of art interests you? Considered digital?

2 Likes

It depends on the quality, time spent creating, originality, size and what it is done on.

1 Like

I suppose that’s the gamble, but it would depend on all those factors.
I want canvas, or skin; not interested in digital.

2 Likes

Ballpark using any images as an example?

It is hard to say, if I take some of the mosaics I made

The pot alone was R400, the tiles was about R300, then the time I spent on it which was 10 hours and I lowballed myself at R50 an hour
gives me a price of R1200 which I felt was fair - others disagreed and it never sold.

(Labor + Materials) x 2 = Wholesale price = that is the general rule of thumb.

2 Likes

I suppose some of the gaming youtubers also commission artwork for their avatars and such.

1 Like

Actually, now that I think about it, I painted a guitar for a friend if that counts.

It doesn’t. He commissioned you. :stuck_out_tongue: