Have you ever used an emulator?

if you guys want a cool Emulator i use this thing called coin ops its quite good. Really easy to use looks and plays great

its quite a big download but I have not had any issues using this.

3 Likes

I was having issues with Xenoblade X because it absolutely requires the Wii U gamepad to play and itā€™s a schlep to constantly swap between the two screens then I remembered I have a monitor in my closet.

Itā€™s not the best set up ever but it definitely serves its purpose here.

3 Likes

So, I have an ethical question, and the fact that I have doubt probably means I should not even consider it. Stupid moral compass!

I absolutely want to play Breath of the Wild. The Switch to me is not an option, I do not want to buy hardware for a single game. The game also has a Wii U edition, and the Wii U has a great emulator.

The question is: would it be wrong to use the Wii U emulator and a rom of BotW to ā€œdemoā€ the game for a few hours and see if it really is all that? And then, if I fall in love with the game, could I buy a digital copy of the game on Switch, and then play the Wii U edition on my emulator, thus skipping the guilt?

4 Likes

Do it just download it and try it out, there are plenty of games i tried out unofficially and if i liked it i still went out and bought the title, some of those titles i liked so much i ended up buying the same game on multiple platforms.

3 Likes

I think this is an ethical way to do it! Iā€™d also add that the Switch has much more than just BotW, and is absolutely worth having :smiley:

2 Likes

I say go for it. I often download ā€œtestā€ versions of games before I decide to buy them. With BotW I own the physical game on Switch so playing it on CEMU is fine in my opinion.

1 Like

I really want to try emulating BOTW on PC. I own a digital version on my Switch Lite, but want to experience it on a bigger screen with higher res graphics.

The Switch Lite really is a great little machine. Many times when I lie in bed unable to sleep, I pull open the drawer of the bedside table, grab the Lite, pop in earphones and play for an hour or so. Itā€™s a greet machine for slow RPGs, platformers and rogue-lites. And of course Nintendo first party games. It doesnā€™t get as much playtime as my other machines, but I never regret buying it for even a second.

3 Likes

I just discovered emulation on the Xbox (Series S). I knew about the dev mode and it always seemed like a schlep to get set up properly, but I came across a post on Reddit which details a way of doing it without dev mode and you can just download the app directly to the console and set up an FTP to copy ROMS over. Iā€™m going to try out PS2 Dragon Quest VIII. I legally own a digital 3DS copy of this game but I no longer have a 3DS.

2 Likes

I would love to know how that goes! I am considering a Series S for the kids and if it can scratch an itch there with some emulation of my older console games then its a win win!

1 Like

ā€œā€¦for the kidsā€¦ā€ Right. Sure you are. For the kids.

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It was actually pretty easy to set up. Just follow a link in the browser on the console which then takes you to MS store link where you download Retroarch and an FTP app. Retroarch already includes all the emulators like pcsx2, dolphin etc. Then you just have to set up the FTP from a PC and then copy the BIOS files for the emulators over to the Retroarch directory on your xbox. From there you just copy over your ROMS and set Retroarch up to load them. I tried the PS2 version of both Dragon Quest V and VIII and both of them seemed fine. VIII had a bit of laggy audio here and there but its better than how PCSX2 performs on my PC.

Here is a link to reddit post where I originally found out about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxSeriesS/comments/rqiuw1/a_step_by_step_on_how_to_get_retroarch_on_your/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

2 Likes

Because I am a childrenā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing around with Retroarch on the Xbox today and itā€™s pretty damn cool. I got rid of the PS2 stuff I had for now since PS2 games are around 4GB per game and you only have 30GB for ROMS. Right now I have Gameboy, DS and Gamecube set up and working with every game Iā€™ve tried so far. I donā€™t honestly know if Iā€™d play through any full games like this but itā€™s cool to play around with. I did actually want to buy a Gamecube off someone recently, but they only had one game and I reconsidered based on the fact that games will be hard to find. Now I can play Gamecube on my Xbox. :smiley:

I finally got around to set this up. It was easier than I thought! A smooth 1080p60 experience. I will now play it some on the weekend and then look to getting it legitimately! Promise!

6 Likes

So seeing as my Switch has bit the bullet and doesnā€™t want to charge, which emulator are you using to get this going?

1 Like

Iā€™d also like a guide to get it running. Also, where to download all the software (and ROM for the game). I can legally do it, as I own the game and have a working Switch Lite.

1 Like

CEMU is the emulator. You can use Wii U USB helper to connect to the Nintendo eshop and download games directly from there or if you donā€™t want to struggle too much you can find a repack on fitgirl that includes the emulator and the game then you should be able to update that version of the emulator to the newest one.

The only real issue with playing BotW with the emulator is the motion dungeons, you can get them to work but I never did.

You can get CEMU from their official site as well:

https://cemu.info/

Technically its a grey area as CEMU is a WiiU emulator and not a Switch emulator so unless you have a physical Wii U disc and make your own backup copy it is not technically legal.

3 Likes

Exactly this

1 Like

So, I bought a 2nd hand Nintendo Wii U with Breath of the Wild. You can hack the bluetooth to use PS3 controllers! Now I will be shopping for Super Mario World 3D!

But, I thought I would let you guys know that I will be going legit :wink:

5 Likes

Awesome man! I still want to get myself a WiiU at some point as well. Really kicking myself for not buying one when it was like R1000 at Toys R Us. I only want it for Xenoblade Chronicles X which I am now trying to play again on CEMU now that my PC is upgraded. So far it seems to run great, but playing it natively will always be better.

Also trying out some Switch emulation with YUZU with some varying results. Some games like Metroid Dread and Hyrule Warriors DE run great (60FPS locked out) but others struggle a bit (Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity - arouind 24FPS) and some I canā€™t get to work at all (Pokemon Arceus).

1 Like