History of the GPU

I had one of those! I think I had had an All-in-Wonder Pro 9700. Got it on special from a friend who ran a small hardware reseller business.

Sadly, I never really used any of its amazing features other than playing whatever was hot at the time. Looking at Metacritic, probably Warcraft 3, MOH:AA, Neverwinter Nights, Age of Mythology, Battlefield, Call of Duty, GTA: Vice City, various Half-Life mods, Freelancer, C&C Generals, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

1 Like

Exactly, it was a horrible experience.

2 Likes

Man those games bring back memories, I remember a mate of mine that used to swear by his 3dfx Voodoo cards. Having said that, the late 90ā€™s and early 2000s were pretty much an arms race. DirectX was in its infancy, OpenGL was the ā€œfasterā€ alternative. Up to the release of DirectX 9 (around 2002) gaming was strange and performance came down to having the right card, a game that had either decent DirectX support for your card or if the game supported OpenGL youā€™d have a great time. Having multiple cores was a pipe dream, it was all about clock speed on your CPU.

I sometimes miss that.

2 Likes

My first discrete graphics card was a Radeon 9600 Pro. I made do with integrated graphics before that.

3 Likes

Voodoo 2 was my first also

4 Likes

I still have boxed in the attic all my old cards(and theys still work apart from 2)

Ati rage pro 4mb pci
Ati Rage mobility pro AGP 8mb
riva tnt2 m64 32mb
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9250
geforce fx 5200 (dead)crap card anyway
radeon 9600 Pro
geforce 6600 GT (dead)
Geforce 6800 LE
Radeon x1300
Geforce 9600 GT
radeon 5570
Radeon 5770

and currently still using a gtx960 as i havent upgraded anything in my pc in probably 4 years now

4 Likes

Had exactly this one with the same bundled games! I wonder what on earth I even did with those games, I must still have some of them somewhere.

4 Likes

Oh man, what a nostalgia trip. Like many others, the first real GPU I played on was a Riva TNT 2. When I bought my very first PC by myself, I remember having an ATI Radeon 9600 in it, and that thing was a beast! It bossed all the games I wanted to play on it. After that I got the Nvidia 8800 GTS, which was at that time the most expensive single item I ever bought for myself. Was bloody R3000 when I got it, and that was considered high-end and expensive pricing. Lol, how times have changed.

2 Likes

My first gpu was also a riva tnt 2. Others I have had is a geforce 2,geforce 4 ti 4400, geforce 6600,Geforce 8800gts, Radeon r290x, geforce , geforce 1080gtx and my current geforce 2080ti.

GPU list

• ATI HD 4670
  • AMD HD 6870

Then the switch to the green team

• Nvidia Geforce 1070
  • Nvidia Geforce 1080ti