Hollow Knight

There’s no official thread for this yet?

https://hollowknight.com/

I hate platformers. In fact I didn’t even like Ori and the Blind Forest that everyone loved. But I went and bought Hollow Knight because it intrigues me and will start playing it soon.

Have any of you played it? What do you think of it?

2 Likes

I thought I had this somehow on one of the humble bundles but I was mistaken. Let us know how it is.

I also want to start playing HK but i haven’t finished The Messenger and then i have Celeste waiting for me so it’ll probably be some time before i get around to this game.

One of my favourite games of all time is Ori and the Blind Forest. I loved it so much that I bought the Definitive Edition when it launched on Steam and and played through it as well. I loved Dust: An Elysian Tale almost as much as Ori.

For some reason the Souls influences in Hollow Knight just spoiled the game for me. I enjoyed it for around 12 hours and grew to love it, until some spikes and a crab-like thing killed me, after which my shade was stuck in an area that I could barely get to it. The resulting battle killed me again (spikes) and I lost a couple of thousand Geo I was saving for a trip back to the merchant. Right there I rage quite and never touched it again.

1 Like

I am about 6 hours or so into the game, and at the moment I am enjoying it. I am absolutely not one for difficult or souls-like games, but HK has really peaked my interest in the genre.

I am not far into the game and I have already rage quitted a few times. The game is super difficult. I don’t think I’m going to play it for very long, and certainly not going to finish it.

2 Likes

*piqued

(10 chars)

3 Likes

Hol up a minute…I may be wrong indeed. I stand thoroughly corrected

2 Likes

I absolutely loved the game and even went for the 100% completion on it. This was my brief review for it on Steam:

Hollow Knight was one of the most amazing gaming adventures that I have been on. From a game perspective the controls are tight, the game is challenging but fair and there is a good amount of content to keep you busy for many hours. But Hollow Knight is so much more than just its gameplay. The world of Hallowsnest is a mysterious and beautifully tragic place, with a rich lore tucked away in secrets and snippets of conversation. You will be taken on a journey of discovery and intrigue as you play through the game. The music and art style go a long way in ensuring that the story of Hollow Knight will remain with you long after you finish the story.

I did start using a guide towards the end to get some tips how to achieve the true ending for the game (which was super tough but definitely worth it). The boss fights are challenging but I’m sure a Dark Souls veteran will persevere through them. Also if you just find it impossible to beat a certain boss try find a new area to explore and level up your character (unlock abilities etc.) and then come back to the fight later and you may find it easier going.

2 Likes

I’m loving the game so much. Just over 5 hours in. I normally hate platformers but Hollow Knight is something special. Hopefully I can handle it when it gets harder.

2 Likes

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it.

If you get stuck feel free to ask for help, a simple nudge in a different direction can definitely make a difference.

1 Like