How cold is too cold?

The coldest natural spot in the Universe currently is the Boomerang nebula, which resides 5,000 light-years away from us. Its temperature is measured to be 1 Kelvin or -272.15 degrees Celsius. Yet, that still isn’t the coldest temperature we have ever measured.

The coldest temperature was manifested in an underground lab in Italy. The volume represented the coldest cubic meter in the Universe. Researchers of the collaboration Cryogenic Underground Observatory for Rare Events (CUORE) created a refrigerator that cooled at an astounding -273.144 degrees Celsius or 6 milliKelvin. That is nail-bitingly close to Absolute Zero! The researchers maintained the temperature for two weeks to study the behavior of neutrinos – spooky subatomic particles that might hold the secret to the matter that surrounds us.

Is this too cold?

2 Likes

Yes, yes it is. :cold_face:

2 Likes

Yep, its really quite reasonably cold.

1 Like

15 degrees Celsius is too cold.

Anything colder than that may as well be absolute zero

1 Like

Winter in the Free State is too cold. Trust me.

3 Likes

So how long dit it take to chill the beers?

2 Likes

Good point, because you need to chill beer even if it is cold outside.

1 Like

How chilled is too chilled though?

1 Like

Don’t get me started…

1 Like

I miss snow!!! Aka the cape is cold but not cold enough

1 Like

I guided some free state farmers one hunting season. The guys pitched up at 5.30 am in camo short shorts with a belt. I was wearing long john undies and jeans, shirts, jerseys and jackets. they wore short shorts and a khaki shirt with a hunting jacket.
The free staters are mal i tell you :slight_smile:

I am ok with cold, but not getting out of bed. I cant get out when it is cold.

For me cold is 5’C and below.

1 Like

You know its too cold when those farmers start to wear 2 pairs of shorts!

3 Likes

Some south african will be waking around in shorts, plakkies and a Springbok jersey looking for a place to braai in that weather

4 Likes

Being a South African from Joburg, 10 degrees Celsius is too cold, cold=snow or i hate it

1 Like

I really think we need snow in Joburg. Yip it would be glorious.

3 Likes