How to know if your a grammar nazi?

If your triggered then you must be! :grin: :rofl: :skull:

Jokes aside, does it bug you when people desecrate the Queen’s English with their incorrect word usage and grammatical errors?

Or has it become so common place that you have adopted a live-and-let-live attitude?

3 Likes

Oh and, @Wyvern and @GregRedd you’re not allowed to edit that topic title no matter how much it bugs you!

5 Likes

Oi! @czc I saw what you did there!

1 Like

There was no restriction placed on me!

3 Likes

A mere oversight on my part. I had not identified you as one of the elite!

1 Like

Meant to come back to this post earlier…

Honestly, it does. But I generally keep my frustrations to myself and stay quiet. If I can, I might make a stealthy ninja edit to something hugely egregious. But only to save the OP from embarrassment :smiley: .

When I see it in public forums - Redditors are especially guilty - I mock their obvious lack of education to myself and move on.

My general irritants are the usual ones:

• to, too, two
  • they are, they’re, there, their
  • choose, chose, loose, lose, lost
  • it’s, its, it is
  • were, we’re, we are

And of course: your, you’re, you are! My edit finger twitched so hard at your title.
That sort of thing.

My current hot button one though is “on mistake”. As in, “I went into the wrong bathroom on mistake.” It’s “by mistake”. It’s always been “by mistake”. Where and why “on mistake” has become so commonplace is beyond me. I blame America.

Same applies to the alternate version: on accident versus by accident. “On accident” doesn’t even sound normal. It’s awkward to say.

Not even Bing AI knows:

I’m not sure why some people use “on mistake” instead of “by mistake”, but it could be due to regional dialects, influence from other languages, or simply confusion. It is not a common or accepted usage in standard English.

That, and using “Legos” as the plural for Lego. :face_vomiting: You don’t play with your Legos, you play with your Lego. (And if we’re going full Grammar Nazi Pedant, it should be LEGO.)

1 Like

I do notice it immediately, but only correct people if I intentionally want to mess with them.

2 Likes

Aw man, so many triggers!

As an Afrikaans first language human, I do admit I have some lapses in grammatical focus. But what gets me in both English and Afrikaans is… are… is… the new age shorthand people use. Our phones have full keyboards, you do not gain any time by using shorthand anymore. The old SMS typing on a numerical keyboard, maybe. But today, nah ah!

“E ga bq kuie”

Nee.

Ek gaan bietjie kuier.

“U gon get som luv.”

No.

You are going to get some love.

Darnit people…

Finally, YouTube tutorials.

“First you gonna wanna go ahead and click the download button.”

Maybe try “Click the download button”?

2 Likes