How to turn TV into smart tv

I just wanted to find out what the best box to use to turn my normal TV into a smart TV?

1 Like

Chromecast

2 Likes

Seconded, easy and cheap. We got it

1 Like

The caveat with Chromecast is that you need another device to cart from. Other than that, it’s a great device.

If it’s a dealbreaker, though, look at an Android TV box. I’ve got the Xiaomi Mi box, and I love it. If you’re looking for the Rolls Royce of Android boxes, you’re looking for an nVidia Shield.

1 Like

Nope. New chromecast has a remote. Search for “Chromecast with google TV”

2 Likes

I bought a Nvidia Shield on black friday a few years back. It must be amazing because even my wife says its the best thing I have ever bought, and I have bought her a car!

Its more expensive than most Android boxes but runs the same chipset as the Nintendo Switch. Android TV is amazing, and it allows you to play Minecraft on it!

1 Like

How does it compare to the Amazon Fire?

In reponse to OP; I sit with a similair issue as a result I make use of my Xbox for such requests.

1 Like

It’s the same experience as an old chromecast, but now you don’t NEED a phone to use it. The remote has a mic, for built in Google Siri :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Of course you can still cast from where ever you normally cast from. Cousin had one, and he only uses Plex and Netflix. Presumably you can install anything applicable to Android TV environment

2 Likes

I have a first gen Fire TV Stick. It is dreadfully slow… I also have a MyGica and Mi Box in the house. Of the 2 the Mi Box is definitely better, as it is stock Android TV where the MyGica has a custom (badly designed) skin.

I’m also considering the new Chromecast, as it can be bought for cheaper than most “decent” streaming boxes online.

2 Likes

I believe she’s called Iris.

I think what I use on the Xbox is called AirPlay, which allows me to cast or mirrow my phone to the Xbox.

1 Like

Thanks everyone , will look into the suggestions :grin:

1 Like

I completely blanked on that bit, thanks for the correction!

1 Like

I gave mine away. Trash implementation of android tv. Crashes, slow, updates were lagging so far behind, it probably had loads of missing security patches and app updates

1 Like