Humankind - One Million Civilizations

Right, game installed and played a bit, playing the tutorial. This is a dangerous game. Many hours will be lost here. Very first impressions after going in absolutely blind; its phenomenal!!

3 Likes

I concur. I am already suffering from onemoreturnitis and this game caused it to flare up again!

2 Likes

Had quite a bit of frustration, I planned to do a civ that is totally agrarian and peaceful. Managed to get it first game and got going. At turn 30 or so I had made a ton of mistakes, so started over, knowing how it plays.

Boy, what a frustration to be had when trying to get Harappan as my first civ again, every game I played it was taken first by another NPC. Finally, after 14 retries I gave up and went back to the first game I had started and gotten it by chance first time. Mistakes or not, having fun shaping it into something that never existed ;-). Will see if I get flattened by warmongers or not.

After a fair few hours more, my thoughts on the game has changed. I’ve gone from thinking it’s phenomenal to its really fun. There is still a very good game, but it’s very buggy. Buggy as in textures not loading, random crashes, stuttering that can only be remedied by alt tabbing in and out of the game, faces disappearing, and buttons not working for 10 seconds. It’s frustrating to struggle with the game technically like this, because when it’s working, oh boy is it a super fun game! Like stupidly fun, and in this game can rival Civ good. But they seriously need to do some bug fixes.

I’ve only played it a bit but haven’t experienced in bugs as of yet. Did you find it was more in the late game?

Definitely the longer you play, the more bugs pop up. First 2 hours or so was pure bliss of 4X glory, then some minor bug, then a crash, and after a few more hours textures went missing and game became REALLY buggy.

1 Like

I also got a couple of bugs:

• Really long black screen on startup, hanging up some times.
  • Severe stutter and slow down for ~45 seconds - happened twice

Nothing gamebreaking, but definitely concerning.

The game is excellent though, it feels like they really focussed on the area’s that Civ doesn’t delve too deep into, and fleshed that out a lot. Really enjoying not sleeping for one more turn this week.

2 Likes

The more I play of this the more I want to play. It’s really started opening up now that I’ve met all the other nations. The political landscape has become more interesting.

Right, from last week and over the weekend I’ve played just over 15 hours of the game, and I must say, this has the potential to be one of the best 4X games out there. There are some great concepts and changes from the normal formula of 4X games, and the differences between this and Civilization 6 make me like Humankind more than Civilization. I would honestly say that Humankind is more fun and better in many regards than Civ 6.

But I am uninstalling the game. Not because I don’t want to play it anymore. Believe me I really want to. But I can’t! The game is terribly buggy, and the Game Pass version is borderline unplayable. During those 15 hours of gameplay, I’ve had more than 10 crashes and lockups of the game. I’ve had a stupid amount of visual glitches, input lag bugs, and multiple other technical issues. It became so bad that after playing the game for 1 hour I HAVE to restart it as the glitches became to bad, only to have the game crash at least 3 times before being playable for another 2 hours or so, and the bugs would restart all over again.

I breaks my heart to say but if you do want to play a 4X game, either buy this on Steam or just install Civilization 5 or 6. Give Humankind a few more patches before trying again. I wish it was different, but no, this game is broken.

2 Likes

Sadly, it looks like the Steam release version is always suffering from its own share of bugs and issues:

Sorry to hear that it’s been so buggy for you @DieGrootHammer

I’ve been lucky then as the only bugs I’ve experienced have been minor. Occasionally I would have to click twice on a build order to select it and the only other issue was with the camera panning over to an event where it would bounce back. I was able to fix it by dragging around the world in the opposite direction so it wasn’t a problem and only happened twice in my playthrough. I was able to win the game by both being miles ahead in fame, but also ended it quicker by researching everything. By the end with the Japanese culture I could smash through 3-4 new techs in one turn.

I think you might’ve had another bug! :smiley:

2 Likes

I have some other complaints about the game, which is also makes me think this game is far from polished:

I played new games about 4 or 5 times. Each and every time the AI would ALWAYS pick the same cultures, regardless of the situation, their strategy. I am yet to pick the Harappans or the Myceneans as they ALWAYS get’s picked by the AI at the start. Later eras have the same fate but I can brute force my way to evolve faster to get any pick I want.

My first late game playthrough had to be abandoned as I needed resources to progress through the game. I needed 2 sulfur/phosphor or something for gunpowder unit. I couldn’t get any of them as there was only one of those resource modes on the entire map. No other player had any to sell, and I was left with old units while the AI were able to cheat themselves into building those units. A second playthrough also so NO oil spawn on the map AT ALL. So yet again couldn’t progress past a certain point.

I saw these are some of the most talked about bugs in the game, and they really added to the myriad of technical issues I’ve had with the game to really spoil the game for me.

And YET, despite all of this, I do like the game and want to play more. I’ll just wait for more patches.

2 Likes

*feature

2 Likes

YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!!!

:smiley: I have not given Humankind the attention it deserves, mainly because I am scare I will like it more than Civ :smiley:

I have only played 7 hours but did not see a single bug on xbox game pass. Regardless, it has sunk lower and lower on my current game list. I just struggle to get into these kinds of games these days. I guess people change, I was an avid 4x gamer once upon a time.

2 Likes

Pretty big patch went out over the weekend/Friday.

And supposedly another one being worked on already.

1 Like

Next patch is out. Smaller than the previous, but still some good fixes.

HUMANKIND™ - [1.2.139] Version Notes - Steam News (steampowered.com)

2 Likes

I’ve been playing this a bit and for some reason I find it way harder to get everything to go perfect compared to the Civ games. Have restarted a couple of times now. I know I should just persevere with a game but I’ve had the unluckiest starts.