Humankind - One Million Civilizations

HKD_SECONDARY-LOGO_RGB_ARCTIC-WHITE

Humankind is Amplitude Studio and Sega’s historical 4X strategy game releasing for PC and Stadia on 17 August.

In Humankind, you will play as an avatar that you create, customize and lead to make the largest mark on history. As you progress through Amplitude’s brand new historical 4X strategy game, you’ll combine cultures through six different eras to build a civilization as unique as you are.

And while the similarities and comparisons to the Grand Master of 4X strategy games Sid Meier’s Civilization are fair, the game does stand up to the challenge for the most part.

Create your own civilization by combining 60 historical cultures from the Ancient to the Modern Age. Each culture brings its special gameplay layer, leading to near-endless outcomes. Every great deed you accomplish, every moral choice you make, every battle won will build your fame. The player with the most fame will win the game.

The game strips away a lot of the more familiar win states, and replaces them with a single one: Fame. End the game with greater Fame than your opponents and you win the game.

Pre-release reviews are fair to good, with Metacritic sitting at 80 after 21 critic reviews, with OpenCritic shows a Strong rating with 83% Critics Recommending based on 12 reviews.

Humankind for PC Reviews - Metacritic
Humankind for PC Reviews - OpenCritic

The game is currently available in a Digital Deluxe edition for pre-order with a small 17% pre-release discount until its launch at 16:00 tomorrow. (Currently R596.77, increasing to R719 after launch.)

Pre-loading reports indicate that the Steam installation is around 10.1GB and pre-order owners on either Steam or Epic are able to preload already.

For 4X strategists who also happen to be Game Pass for PC or Game Pass Ultimate subscribers there is also good news. The game will launch on Day 1 for you. Unlike the Steam and Epic versions though, there doesn’t look to be a pre-load option in the Game Pass App at the moment. As soon as it appears in the App, you’ll be the first to know.

3 Likes

And

4 Likes

This will tide me over nicely until Psychonauts 2 releases (not that I don’t have plenty other games to play at the moment anyway!)

3 Likes

Very excited about this game, but I’m not seeing it in Game Pass this morning. Wonder when it will be available for downloading.

3 Likes

Not a fan of buying 4x games since I love them then half way through get bored and regret paying the money. Since this is on xbox gamepass for the PC I will be downloading it and doing the same thing, just not regretting the purchase :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Okay checking now it seems the game will only be available to download from this evening. So will get it downloaded overnight and give it a bash!

3 Likes

Looks like it’ll only be available on Game Pass at release time - 16:00 CEST

3 Likes

The more entertainment type sites like Steam are blocked at work, so can’t check myself.

Is there a multiplayer option? I’d be keen to have a month long play by mail type match with a couple of the MEW-lings…

2 Likes

There definitely is some sort of multiplayer play. It wasn’t enabled in the beta I played, so there’s very little known about how the mechanic works yet, but shades of MP from Civ V and Civ VI and elements of Amplitude’s Endless Legend I’d guess.

2 Likes

From here:

See also the player avatar itself. Where other games use famous figures or individual characters designed by the studio’s artists, Humankind places the control into the hands of the player. You design your own avatar, whose clothes change as you move through the various eras adopting different real-life civilizations.

This even plays into multiplayer; you can set various options on your avatar to denote your play-style, therefore providing an AI opponent your friends can download and play with even when you aren’t online. Amplitude knows people love playing these sorts of games with friends, but also understands they’re difficult multiplayer sessions to schedule given the marathon nature of the games. The custom avatars and AI profiles are a way to allow you to play with your friends even when you’re not – another way to make a small genre given more meaningful.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how comfortable I am with you lot playing with Avatar’s avatar when Avatar’s not around. 0.o

1 Like

Still not seeing anything in the Game Pass App, but… Microsoft Store FTW:

17:00 Edit: It’s showing in the GP app on desktop and mobile now:

HUMANKIND™ - Official Launch Trailer - YouTube

1 Like

Damn, with MSFS, Cyberpunk and F1 2021 installed on my PC I have 8GB left. Will have to make a tough call tonight to uninstall something.

3 Likes

Time for a new SSD!

Search results for: ‘SSD’ (rebeltech.co.za)
:smiley:

2 Likes

Unfortunately when I search for things on online shopping stuff, it defaults to nappies. Which is weird.

4 Likes

Yeah. Weird.
:baby: when?
:grinning:

1 Like

Same day as what Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy is scheduled to release. Lol.

2 Likes

Guess you are going to have to make a tough decision then… :rofl:

Congrats to you and the Mevrou! Stoked for you both!

1 Like

Another tough decision: attend the birth or go to the movies…

2 Likes