If you are going to buy games from G2A, just pirate them instead

Tenzin%20Yes%20Legend%20of%20Korra

1 Like

Publishers crying again that they aren’t getting as much as they want. Will use which ever platform is best for me not which is best for the publisher/developer.

1 Like

Solid reporting by Darren — giving the G2A statement its time in the sun, followed by the response from Rose.

Not sure if I agree with his conclusion, but smart people can disagree civilly :slight_smile:.

G2A is being disingenuous here. Rather than taking responsibility for policing its own platform, it is grandstanding.

It reminds me of Telegram’s security/bug bounty in response to legitimate concerns over the fact that it is running a closed-source proprietary encrytpion algorithm. It also reminds me of Steam simply refusing to do an kind of quality control on its platform, instead doing that half-hearted curator system. At least Steam has refunds now, I guess.

Anyway… G2A is failing to address the problem of the devaluation of a game once cheap, fraudulent keys go on sale on its platform. Even if it pays devs 10x on illegally obtained keys, a quick look at the numbers suggests that it won’t nearly cover the damage.

That said, the devs are also skirting the issue of the right of resale. Why are games bought digitally any different from games bought on disc? Why can I sell a disc, but not an unused Steam key?

Bundles complicate this, because devs are happy to participate in set-your-own-price bundles provided those keys can’t simply be bought in bulk for $1 and then resold at a profit.

Maybe studios or indie publishers should build their own platforms to allow the resale of keys at a minimum price with some kind of transaction fee to help cover the costs of running the platform.

2 Likes

G2A digging the hole deeper…

@someindiegames received a request to post extracts from their recent G2A blog post that tries to justify their business model “without being marked as sponsored or marked as associated with G2A”.

And they offer to pay him to do so…

After he publishes his tweets laughing at them and questioning the legality of their request, G2A respond with a bizarre version of events claiming a rogue employee sent the message “without authorization, for which we apologize to Some Indie Games and the 9 (!) other media outlets he sent this proposal to”.

Naturally everyone finds the implication that an employee would take it upon himself to use illegal and underhanded methods to defend his employers and risk losing his job utterly laughable.

Jim Sterling, in his beautifully succinct way, sums it up perfectly:

3 Likes

Kotaku story covering this latest farce in some detail:

What’s ironic for G2A isn’t just how tremendously this move has backfired, it’s that the act of even making a request this shady will forever raise questions about anyone who now defends the company.

3 Likes

I bought once from them, but used PayPal, I linked my credit card, did the purchase and as a safety measure unlinked my card.

A month afterward, some charge tried to go through from G2A, but couldnt as my card linked anymore. Happy I used PayPal for that.

No, from now on, I wont support them anymore, rather pay a bit more and support devs. I understand not everyone can buy all the new games, I mean I have to choose what I want the most, but in the end, which most ppl dont understand, is that making games these days is expensive. So much goes into it, 20 years ago, a table consisted of 5 squares. Now its 100 times more detailed, not to even mention the textures involved in making it more realistic.

2 Likes