If you are going to buy games from G2A, just pirate them instead

"Please, if you're going to buy a game from G2A, just pirate it instead! Genuinely!" That's the opinion of Mike Rose, founder of No More Robots, the label behind games like Descenders and Hypnospace.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ink.mostepic.win/please-pirate-before-you-buy-from-g2a/
2 Likes

Having a second-hand marketplace for keys you get in bundles but never use would be great, but it seems a fraught endeavour. Even with seller verification, I wonder if the scammer element who buy up tons of keys and the charge it back on their credit card would go away?

On MEW we’ve been giving away our spare keys on Steam Gifts and such. How else are you using spare keys from bundles you don’t end up using?

2 Likes

That title image reminds me of IT Crowd

E1Kxw

2 Likes

Personally I’ve never used G2A before, and probably won’t. There is just way too much shady things that the site has done in the past.

But it does raise the question, how else are you suppose to sell old unwanted game keys. And is it really wrong to sell unused keys? Ultimately selling keys like that is very similar to selling hard copy of games. In principle there should be nothing wrong in doing that.

However, this is the internet, the wild west where the law is 53 shades of grey. Where people will buy stolen credit card details and buy keys on bulk and sell them to people for a profit. This is the issue that G2A has. In principle there is nothing wrong with the site, but because people abuse its services and effectively steal keys from developers by exploiting loopholes, that makes the site a blight in the gaming world.

Steamgifts is cool do to, but it does not benefit people in that they do not get any money from the transaction. Should they get and compensation is another question.

2 Likes

I have to say I am of similar mind as Hammer, but then again I never have many keys to give away of late. But I will not touch G2A no matter how desperate I am for a game, I will rather wait a while longer - like Borderlands 3, as much as I want it, I doubt I will get it on release.

1 Like

i used G2A to get games i couldnt get anywhere thats been long removed from the xbox store like Dance central 2 a few years ago

1 Like

I’ve never used G2A, probably never will.

I don’t see the issue in offloading your old unused gamekeys. But it shouldn’t be up to grey market sites for things like that.

1 Like

Nice! Anecdotes like this are what is missing from the Twitter threads. The problem, as best I can summarise it, is that key resellers address a real problem, but without being willing to tackle the new problems they create.

I have used them before and it was ok. I wouldn’t use them again though.

I wouldn’t say the site itself is completely harmless. They have their G2A Shield service. Without it, they probably won’t assist the buyer in the event of a invalid key. The site is quite forceful about it, and includes it by default in a purchase.

1 Like

You hear that @Havok? Stop buying games at G2A!

3 Likes

Damn you Soli, do you WANT a multi-social network discussion on this? :wink:

4 Likes

It is what he does best

1 Like

Ha! I made you post! :smiley:

3 Likes

And therefore you deserve a noddy badge!

noddy_badge

2 Likes

Noooooo, my streak!

You know I’m the resident lurker here :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Woo! CRY HAVOK!

1 Like

Before I make @Havok look like a bad person. He is very against G2A. So much so that he is against cdkeys as well because for him it is the same thing. He is not very bright like that.

3 Likes

Oh ho!

Are you going to let him talk to you like that @Havok?

This is a matter that can only be settle by dance off! (Or Deathmatch, I guess.)

3 Likes

I almost made a purchase from them back in 2015, but was very much on the fence.

I just don’t trust them. Additionally, in my defense, most of the games I have pirated, I did eventually buy when I could afford them. The next and last game I want to buy (for a long while) is Far Cry 5. I’m not comfortable having pirate software on my PC or external HDD.

1 Like

Never! I challenge @Solitude to a hair-off!

4 Likes