A bit dark. Just a bit…

6 Likes

More please

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

From

4 Likes

I found some floppies. Tried to explain to my kids how you can fit 45 000 floppies into the sd card… I gave up because I dont know how it works…

7 Likes

Don’t lie, you 3D printed the save icon!

5 Likes

yea that a 3D printed save icon!

2 Likes

It’s funny, I only ever knew those as stiffys, not floppies. Floppies were exclusive to the 5.25" bad boys that were… y’know… floppy.

5 Likes

I remember my sis had a dual floppy drive, and I could copy straight from disk to disk without the hard drive. Magic

3 Likes

I also remember the 5.25" as floppies. I had a case of 10, each with a different virus. I also had one Afrikaans MS DOS bootable stiffy. I was still in school and had a lot of time to play around with a hex editor and examine what makes operating systems tick.

1 Like

Same goes till I arrived in the UK and was laughed out by the Hackney council it guy

2 Likes

Man…

Oh man…

a 3.25" floppy disk is indeed floppy. It’s what is inside that counts. Being Canadian, I have to laugh every time someone calls it a stiffy.

A couple years ago, someone came into my office with a 3.25" floppy and told me there are some old files he needed. He then proceed to ask if I could help “get off my stiffy”

3 Likes

Man, I miss Beavis and Butthead.

3 Likes

It really spurs the questions and debate of the save icon, I mean it is used everywhere. A very common discussion in the design industry actually is about redesigning the save icon to be more relevant but studies show that the disk icon is so well known and adopted that when presented with something that is more contextually relevant to actually “saving”, people didn’t know to click on it as they have been conditioned into looking for the disk icon.

How do you redesign something that is so commonly known and used. The real sad part is that so many of digital tool users know this icon, yet never actually know what it is, where it came from, or what it’s practical terms are (floppy or stiffy disk). They simply have no common knowledge of this unless by looking it up or researching it, or simply asking, why?

4 Likes

LibreOffice changed the icon for a while… It looked like a page with a down arrow on it.

The save icon is lindy now.

I honestly never use the actual save icon. We moved all our Office docs onto OneDrive a few years ago and it has all changes saved automatically. I often go to “Save As…” instead when making copies of files I am working on.

And then I also use CTRL-S in all other apps as using the keyboard for some shortcuts is still quicker for me. Its a habit ingrained in me I doubt I will ever change.

However, I cannot deny that the diskette (lets not judge it for its rigidity…) is undeniably the SAVE icon.

4 Likes

This is true of most things, language, phrases, truisms etc. Once it becomes part of day to day language use it is forgotten. Utilitarians would say this is fine, a linguistic (or iconic) object is only as useful as its present usage would imply. Its origin is irrelevant.

2 Likes