IMPORTANT — Do not change your animated avatar; Discourse dropped support for it!

After the most recent upgrade, @murfle noticed that animated GIF profile pictures in the User Card (that window that pops up when you click someone’s name or avatar) are no longer animated.

It turns out that Discourse has dropped support for animated avatars in one of the more recent updates :sob:

For now, animated GIF avatars should be considered “legacy”. Enjoy them while they last!

6 Likes

Well…

I guess I’m stuck with this one now.

Now if certain people will hold off on the practical joke of changing everyone’s avatar… :wink:

3 Likes

I havent done that in a while dammit

3 Likes

Damnit Sig, make up your mind! :angry:

3 Likes

Trying to make sure everyone sees this, but the banner thing won’t work. So I’ve left it as globally pinned.

3 Likes

:sob: :sob: :sob:

I deleted my browser cache to try and troubleshoot a problem with the automatic dark mode switcher and now none of the avatars are moving for me anymore.

So don’t do that either if you want to keep seeing the animated GIFs.

I’ll be changing my avatar back to my static pic eventually. Hopefully there’s a plugin to bring animated avatars back soon.

3 Likes

Just discovered via Sig’s user card that you can animate the card background.

I just added one, so can confirm that still works.

3 Likes

Can’t wait for another one of those “hey lets change everyones avatar” moments :stuck_out_tongue:

I finally won’t be the only one thats pissed about that :smiley:

3 Likes

Mine looks broken :frowning:

3 Likes

Yours is still working for me

2 Likes

Only one still working for me is Beo’s

3 Likes

All is still working for me

1 Like

I’m THAT cool.

2 Likes

I just killed it with a shift-reload

Sorry

1 Like

It might still work with my home PC. It died on laptop >< RIP

1 Like

Well this was a good excuse to change my avatar to something more appropriate.

3 Likes

The animated avatars work on my phone but not on my pc

2 Likes

@z1oc, you beautiful bastard… have you figured out how to do animated PNGs?

UPDATE: No, it’s dead now. Why do you tease me so, Discourse!

2 Likes

I kinda did one many moons ago :smiley: If i need to animate stuff now i phone a friend hehe

1 Like