Korean Movies

I made a similar thread on another forum so I thought I’d do it here it too to see if there are some more fans of this scene over here.

The (South) Koreans just have something that Hollywood does not IMO. Don’t get me wrong, there are some cool movies coming out of Hollywood, but the Korean movies are of a different breed. If you’re into this scene as well post some of your favourite Korean movies so others can also add them to their watch list.

I’ll start it off with three of my favourite Korean movies that I have seen so far:

1. The Man From Nowhere

One of the best action movies I’ve ever seen and the little girl is probably the best child actor I’ve ever seen in any film. It also has some great emotional content. If you like John Wick you should enjoy this is as well. This movie clearly inspired John Wick and I believe the creator of John Wick even said as much. He is also heading up an American remake of this movie, which I’m looking forward to as well.

1. No Tears For the Dead

From the same director as The Man From Nowhere, although it is not quite as good. It is still a great movie though. It’s also a bit more diverse since it features English as well as Korean being spoken throughout the movie. The ending is also one of the best endings I’ve ever seen and really emotional as well.

1. I Saw the Devil

This one is more the type of revenge film (like Old Boy) that Korea is known for. It also stars one of the main actors from Old Boy. It can be quite brutal at times and is not for the faint of the heart, but it is an amazing movie with top notch acting.

*It goes without saying that if you’re gonna watch these movies it is best to watch the English subbed version as the dubbed ones cannot compare.

2 Likes

Another movie that I watched this weekend that might actually replace one of these three soon is The Chaser. It’s a thriller and it had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. Towards the end I was almost screaming at the TV. Definitely give this one a go if you like good crime thrillers. The story was really gripping and the lead actors were outstanding.

1 Like