Learning by memorisation

One of the tools to learn something is memorisation. What is even better is spaced repetition. There is no point is reviewing something that you already know.

So this year I’ve been using an app called Anki. There are two simple concepts behind Anki: active recall testing and spaced repetition .

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

If you need to memorise stuff check it out. Also check out the manual. https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html

Its basically flashcards but more useful I think. You just have to formulate your questions specifically.

Two videos

4 Likes

I just want to make a clarification here, the most effective learning is proven to be the repetition of recall, not the repetition of learning.

There is a seemingly subtle but substantive and qualitative difference between the two: basically the repeating attempt at recalling information is much more effective than just repeating the information to yourself. So just writing information down over and over and summarising over and over is not as effective as testing yourself to recall something, over and over.

Studies have shown the physical and chemical structure of the brain is changed through repetition of recall. This is why using spaced repetition of recall is so useful when done with something like flashcards.

2 Likes

My method is reading thru and making notes, then one chapter a night I reread and I ask questions to myself and have to answer it.

My problem right now is the lack of motivation, I know I left it to late to study properly. I have read thru a few times and I know some chapters better than most. But in general I feel like need more motivation and that is the problem, I have no way to really motivate myself. I have gotten to the point where I feel like, meh if I fail so what.

1 Like

I might have written it incorrectly. But I guess thats what they mean when they say Active Recall Testing.

Anki is very cool. I’ll also definitely recommend it.

1 Like

According to Jocko Willink you shouldn’t rely on motivation but rather discipline, do it even though you don’t feel like it. Ignore your feelings.

4 Likes

That is what I have been doing, I do sit and go thru my notes, but I really feel like I am not achieving anything. And now that the date is getting closer I am stressing myself out

1 Like

When I still studied subjects which required recall of fixed answers, I used this (like biology or chemistry). It could be quite time consuming though.

This does not work for maths and stuff though, since you can basically learn how to do it and then it’s pattern recognition when you get to the exam to know which method/formula to apply.

1 Like

Absolutely true, it works well for memory recall information, not data driven problem solving.