Linux help plez

Are there any Linux fundies here?
Namely Redhat Linux.
Using Acronis to do a backup of Redhat Linux.
Then restore into a virtual vmware.
But when it boots in vmware it gives a fatal kernal error. Seems it can’t find /boot. I think it might be something to do with the ‘indexing’ of the drives.

I can do screenshots tmrw if needed.

1 Like

Calling @DohcWP

2 Likes

Using LVM?
Encryption? SELinux?

Paste the kernel dump

2 Likes

calling @PsychoFish he know more than me :wink:

2 Likes

I’m RHCA and RHCVA certified

3 Likes

I will paste the dump tomorrow at work. Was just throwing feelers to see if there was anyone.

Thank you

2 Likes

I had to print screen the screen to get it, but here it is.

click on it to see the full thing.

I’m not sure what’s up. I’ve tried multiple programs and multiple configs and they all do the same thing after being restored.

1 Like

I had a similiar vmware issue with OSX once and the issue was a bad image.

2 Likes

mm. ok. maybe i’m doing the image incorrectly.

1 Like

What is the source of the image? Is it a physical machine? Does the vmware hardware match the source?

What does the boot line look like?

2 Likes

I make an acronis or clonzilla image, sector by sector for linux, full backup from a physical machine. The vmware hardware doesn’t match the source but I have other centos and ubuntu vmware running on the same machine. I boot into acronis or clonezilla in vmware and restore ‘inside’ the vmware.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean, but maybe it’s this?

Yeah, what is the vmware disk type set to? It will likely need to be changed from SCSI to IDE or SATA to match what the physical has. The boot device at least needs to be on the same bus type and have the same bus device location in order for this to work, else you’d have to change the grub config accordingly

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I’ll try restoring it into every combination of drive i can make with vmware to see if anything works.

1 Like

If you can get the lsscsi output to match on both hosts you’ll be 80% there

2 Likes